C-sections
Options

Worried about second time c

hi ladies,
I'm not due til dec but could use some reassuring words.
My first c-section was after being induced due to preeclampsia & not progressing despite 3 days of drugs/labor (never got past 2 cm). Anyway - the c-section was great. Very little discomfort after, up & walking the same day, home & happy 3 days later.
This time around I had wanted to vbac bc (obvs) I have another child at home. I was worried about not being able to drive, etc etc. complications have arisen & it's looking like I will again be having a c-section.
I know there are guarantees but does anyone have experience with second-c-sections? Was your recovery similar to the first time? Worse? I'd love any advice - good or bad.
Thank you!!

Re: Worried about second time c

• Options
    I had the exact same experience with my first c-section 3 years ago and decided to go with a planned c-section this time which turned out to be a good idea since I developed high blood and low amniotic fluid. I just scheduled my 2nd c-section for Oct 5th when I'll be at 37 weeks and am actually looking forward to it. I've been told by many women that the second time was even easier to heal from than the first and they healed faster with less pain. I really hope that is true even though there are no guarantees with surgery, but my doctor is really great and makes me feel very comfortable so I have high hopes. I'm also getting my tubes tied but heard that didn't really add to the pain or healing process. My doctor also told me that planned C-section's are totally different from emergency ones and much less stressful. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the response & good luck to you! Coming up fast!
    Please keep me posted- I hope your recovery goes well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    2CherryBoys2CherryBoys member
    edited September 2015
    I just had my second c-section on August 21. The only difference was the anticipation factor. My first was an emergency c-section so I had to just go with the flow and deal with it.
    The second was planned due to my babies being born so close together. I would say I was a lot more present this time around. I was very aware of things like my spinal block and receiving my foley cath lol. But overall it was still a really great experience.
    Recovery was the same, I was up and moving very fast.
  • Options
    @2CherryBoys thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad your recovery has been good - that's my big fear. Hope you are doing well with two little ones at home!
  • Options
    I just had a repeat csection last weekend. We were scheduled for yesterday but LO decided she wanted to come sooner. As soon as I got to the hospital and they confirmed I had broke my water, they began the process of getting me ready. I was so physically exhausted last time that I did not remember much about the whole process but this time around everything was calm as they got me ready. I have only taken ibuprofen since the second day. I have felt great and unfortunately at times have overdone it but last time around I don't remember even being able to get up and move around until the end of the first week.
    Books to read in 2015: 9/60
  • Options
    @eajanvrin - thank you for sharing your experience. What a blessing! I'm so glad you had a good experience & everyone is well. Gives me good hope!

All you ladies have been fantastic - thank you!
  • Options
    I had a similar experience with my first, 44 hours of failed induction resulting in a c section. I just had a 2nd c section in July, not quite 18 months after my first. I wanted vbac but since they were close we did scheduled c. Have to say I was super nervous bc you have the time to think about having major surgery, but in the end it was great. I had the same nausea and vomiting that I did after surgery the first time, but recovery has been awesome. Besides not being able to pick up the 18 mth old the first 6 weeks it's been easy, no pain meds at all ever. You can do it mama!! Prayers your way!
  • Options
    Thank you @mamaklemond
    It must have been tough not to pick up your other little one! Sounds like you got through it just fine. Nice work!
    Thank you for your prayers :)
  • Options
    My second recovery was not a great one. I was allergic to the tape. But the actual c section was not bad. I'm due with #3 in April and I know it will be another c section. I most defiantly will be asking for staples!

A little advice: Remember to give yourself time to heal! Yes, I know this is your second child but if you don't rest and recooprate you will never heal (that was another of my problems)! Take advantage of all the friends & family that say "if you need anything just call me!"
  • Options
    @jmslayter - tape vs staples? I don't remember tape (it was 5 yrs ago)- I'll have to ask about that bc I do have sensitive skin. Thank you for the heads up!
    And yes, I have a hard time asking for help (love giving it) but I'm starting to realize I need it & really it's better for my son if I have many people available to him/us.
    Luckily (?) I'm due at Christmas (if all goes as planned I'll be home Christmas Eve from the hospital). I'm hoping my husband takes that week & the next off (since it's really only 6 days pto bc of the holidays) & my mom is local. I'm very lucky.
    Thank you for the tape heads-up! I'll def ask my ob.
    Congrats on the baby due in April! How exciting!!
  • Options
    I had a problem with the tape from the dressings, I don't believe they tape the Incision. I would warn them of an adhesive allergy and they will use paper tape. Much easier on the skin. The staples were harder on me than sutures because they pinches and overall hurt. I think sutures give a cleaner scar. I've had staples once and sutures twice. This past time I had sutures I had a 12 once incision and it's looking amazing. Just like a pencil line so thin and good. But my incision with staples is about a quarter inch thick.
  • Options
    I've had 2 c/s, first was unplanned after a long labor, second was scheduled.  I'm also having my 3rd c/s on Monday.  The whole process with the scheduled c/s was so much more of a positive experience!  The recovery process was much easier, and I think a lot of it had to do with not being exhausted from being up laboring for so many hours prior to the procedure.  I was also able to sit with my doctors to talk about my first experience, what went well and what wasn't so positive (baby was taken to the nursery while I finished surgery and there was a long (several hour) gap before I could see/hold him.  The second experience was much more family friendly, LO and DH never left my side and we all went back to our room together.  Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ill be going in for my second cs on November 9. My first was five years ago and was an emergency. My first was horrible. I had to have a blood transfusion due to losing 75% of my blood and the recovery pain was horrible. Hopefully this next one is better.
  • Options
    It's funny, it isn't it? A scheduled c-section on the one hand is awesome bc you "know" when/where/how but as with everything there is still so much unknown.
    I'll be thinking of all of you brave ladies! It will be so fantastic when our little ones are in our arms
  • Options
    Very similar experience as you and my second csection was harder to recover from but I think it's because I had my first child to take care of. I thought I was taking it easy but really I was doing more than I should have. AND because I didn't wear the ab binder the second time around. Big mistake.
  • Options
    Ab binder? Do you get that from the dr or something you can order online?
    I don't remember that from the first time...
    Sorry you had a tough time the second time. I'm afraid of the same - my 4, almost 5yr old is nonstop. It's going to be tough
  • Options
    blended10 said:

Ab binder? Do you get that from the dr or something you can order online?
    I don't remember that from the first time...
    Sorry you had a tough time the second time. I'm afraid of the same - my 4, almost 5yr old is nonstop. It's going to be tough

It's like a girdle. They didn't offer me when at the hospital, but I asked for them. They are amazing! I wore it the first two weeks, and then when my waste shrunk, I switched to a Belly Bandit. Helped me get back into my pre pregnancy jeans. Plus, it really helps support your back and abdomin when it heals. Very helpful.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker