Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Feeding Issues

My little one is 7 weeks. He was spitting up a lot and it seemed painful so the Dr put him on Zantac. It seems less painful but he still spits up a lot, always has major gas, and now his stool has been looking a lot more watery than usual with bubbles. So I'm not sure if it's diarrhea. I would feed him on demand but to reduce his discomfort I started him on an every 2 hr schedule that he hates and 90% of the time I usually still feed him on demand. He's currently drinking enfamil infant formula and his Dr said changing his formula is only necessary if there's blood in his stool and/or he's losing weight. Although both those things are not happening, I still felt unsatisfied. He never seems comfortable! So I changed him over to the enfamil gentlease.. It's been 24 hrs and all I have noticed is his spit up and gas has reduced but he still seems uncomfortable. He hasn't had a bowel movement yet so it's hard to tell. But he's still always fussy and uncomfortable. I'm not sure if I should try something else?? help!

Re: Feeding Issues

• I'd push the Pedi for answers or see a different Pedi.

Have you tried changing bottles? It seems simple but I noticed a huge difference in my DD when I changed her bottles to Avent and put her on Similac Sensitive.

• I agree with PP regarding your pediatrician.  

When he's uncomfortable, is it while he's eating, right after or just whenever throughout the day?
  • Loading the player...
  • it's usually just throughout the day. especially at night when he's trying to sleep. there's a lot of grunting and locked legs. he's very squirmish and I know he wants to sleep because his eyes are closed. 5 mins of peacefulness and the next he's tensing up. I showed the pedi a pic of his stool before and she assured me it was normal..
  • I'd push the Pedi for answers or see a different Pedi.

Have you tried changing bottles? It seems simple but I noticed a huge difference in my DD when I changed her bottles to Avent and put her on Similac Sensitive.

You wouldn't think changing bottle would make a difference but it does! I'm a FTM and my LO is 9 days old, we went through 3 different bottle/formula combinations before finding one that didn't make him get sick. After a very long night and hungry baby I decided to try a different bottle, I had gotten a MAM bottle as a free gift and only had the one, well it turned out to be a god send, LO is back on regular formula and he is no longer sick/gassy. They are only available at Babies R Us
  • My DS was exactly the same way. He was very gassy, but in general he just always seemed uncomfortable. He would grunt and strain, and it always seemed like he was trying to do sit ups. He was never just a chill, happy baby. My Pedi recommended changing to a couple different formulas, as well as adding a little oatmeal to his bottle to help with reflux, but nothing really changed. I ended up taking him to a Pediatric GI, and I'm so glad I did. He thinks DS has a milk protein sensitivity and put him on EleCare, which is the most broken down formula you can get. Its expensive, but I've already noticed a difference in the grunting/straining. My LO also doesn't eat very much, usually because he's too busy being uncomfortable and eventually falls asleep. The GI also changed his reflux meds from Zantac to Prilosec. Its only been a couple days and he said to give it a week, but I can already tell a difference with that as well. He also did a rectal exam (stuck his finger up there...poor DS), just to make sure it wasn't too narrow causing him to have trouble pooping. I've been struggling with these issues since DS was about 3 weeks old, and going to the GI made me feel so much better. He's been very reassuring that we'll get DS content and eating as much as he should. 
    Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Some babies have milk allergies.
  • My little one is 7 weeks. He was spitting up a lot and it seemed painful so the Dr put him on Zantac. It seems less painful but he still spits up a lot, always has major gas, and now his stool has been looking a lot more watery than usual with bubbles. So I'm not sure if it's diarrhea. I would feed him on demand but to reduce his discomfort I started him on an every 2 hr schedule that he hates and 90% of the time I usually still feed him on demand. He's currently drinking enfamil infant formula and his Dr said changing his formula is only necessary if there's blood in his stool and/or he's losing weight. Although both those things are not happening, I still felt unsatisfied. He never seems comfortable! So I changed him over to the enfamil gentlease.. It's been 24 hrs and all I have noticed is his spit up and gas has reduced but he still seems uncomfortable. He hasn't had a bowel movement yet so it's hard to tell. But he's still always fussy and uncomfortable. I'm not sure if I should try something else?? help!

I wouldn't change his formula a whole lot. It can take a good two weeks for each switch for a brand. At 7 weeks gas/bowel situations are pretty common. Its their intestines learning to work and it can be uncomfortable until their little guts work themselves out.

You can try adding a little packet (1/3 at a time) to his bottles. Use warm water to stir (not shake) the formula as you prepare it, and add the probiotic. I found with DD (who was FF) that stirring and using warm water (around body temperature) made it easier on her stomach, helped with the spitting up and gas.

Also, because you haven't mentioned-- is baby BF with FF supplement or pure FF? If so I would BF on demand and FF on a schedule. If you FF on demand it can cause tummy issues because the proteins in the formula are harder to digest than breast milk. So, if you are supplementing I would let baby stay on the breast as long as possible then (if you feel you have to supplement, its a mom call) then do 1 ounce at a time. Burp between ounces. For reflux and intestinal discomfort you want to try to minimize overloading and gas build up. The gas drops don't do anything if the gas bubbles reach the intestine.

We used Similac Sensitive (orange top) for DD and it was great for her tummy issues.  Also, keep baby upright for about 10-15 minutes after a feeding. What flow nipple are you using? You may consider staying at the NB or maybe a 1 for a bit. If baby guzzles formula that can contribute to issues.

We did baby massage with DD after every feeding (she sat upright for about 10 minutes and then we did a diaper change). Some warm baby oil (a little tiny bit) and rub their little bellies then give baby a shot at some tummy time. She might fuss or spit up, but tummy time can help them wiggle out some of the gas and toots.

Good luck!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I would probably go for a 2nd opinion. Babies can be sensitive to milk based formula and do better with soy or something else. I'm EBF and DS would get bad gas if I have too much dairy so I've cut most dairy from my diet. We also do Mylicon drops with the night time feedings but I wouldn't do that before asking a doctor. Only other thing I can think of is baby wearing. If u have a sling that can keep baby more upright and use it during the day for a while it can help move air. Oh and Dr browns bottles work great too. Good luck