Preemies
Options

Feeding schedule

Our baby was born at 31 weeks and is now 35 weeks at home with us. They have her on a feeding schedule of every 3 hours...when can I expect to let her go longer between feedings?

Re: Feeding schedule

• Options
    All babies are of course different but here is my experience if it helps! Our 34 weekers are now almost 5 months old. We moved them to their crib and started a sleep routine at 3 months (actual age, not adjusted). They started sleeping 8-12 hours through the night then without eating. But we are still at 2.5-3.5 hours between feedings during the day and don't see that spreading out much soon since they need to consume those ounces they were eating during the night feedings during the day now. Oh and they are EFF. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    My baby was also born at 31 weeks and is now 35. Still in the hospital, but they've started allowing him to eat as much as he wants and as often as he wants. Though if it had been 4 hours since his last feeding they want us to start trying to wake him up. I don't know if your baby has a specific amount she's supposed to take at each feeding, but if not, maybe talk to your pediatrician about allowing her to take more if she wants it and then she may go longer between feeds (though the opposite could also happen and she could take smaller amounts more frequently sometimes, too). Good luck! And I hope you and your baby are doing well at home!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Once my baby hit 6 lbs, we no longer had to wake him up at night for feedings. We still had to feed him every 3 hrs during the day. He's 9 lbs now and the ped said to nurse every 2-3 hrs during the day so he would sleep thru the night. He slept 5 hrs last night which was phenomenal!
    Together since '07
    Married since '12
    Off the pill since 5/14
    BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
    BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested