Stay at Home Moms
Options

What not to wear

I'm thinking about trying out this new "capsule wardrobe" idea. If you haven't heard of it, it's a minimalist idea, where you limit your wardrobe to only 37 items per season. I'm not sure I can get down that low, but I think it's a neat idea. Plus it will force me to be creative, since I have NO sense of fashion.
So here's my question... It's after Labor Day, so should I pack up anything white? Does that old fashion rule (about not wearing white after Labor Day) still apply?
Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11

Re: What not to wear

• Options
    You are asking the wrong person. I don't own any white pants and seldom wear white tops because babies are messy and so am I ;)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think the white rule depends a bit on where you live. I live in Texas, where it's still summer weather well past Labor Day, so it doesn't look odd to wear white thorough September. When I lived in Michigan, however, it looked a little odd if someone would wear white pants once it's chilly and the leaves are changing. Also, white tops are fine anytime, I think.

I don't really consider myself into fashion, I tend to stick more to basics. If you are really trying to get down to less pieces, go for solid tees and things you can layer and mix n match. I live in v-necks from target and old navy, since they're so cheap I don't stress if they get ruined. I have a very full closet but for day-to-day mom life tend to stick to tees and jeans/shorts (yoga or pj pants on lazy at home days).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's an interesting notion that it could be a regional thing. It hadn't occurred to me. 
    I live in a super casual (some would even say "hippy") CA beach town. So maybe I will leave a few white tops in rotation :)
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    I just googled this and many hits say it's fine, including Vogue. I'd maybe go for an ivory or winter white. I feel white shirts are a go year round, but I love a good white t-shirt.
  • Options
    I have heard about capsule wardrobes and the funny thing is, i bet you most people use far fewer than 37 items over anc over again even if their closets are overwpflowing... I know that's the case with me. I have my faves that I wear all the time but I'm scared to get rid of everything else because 'what if I need it one day'. Haha... As for white, it might be a regional thing BUT I can't imagine not wearing my classic white tee after Labor Day. Or is it only about white on the bottom and white tops are ok? White tee or button down is such a classic look i can't imagine it would be resteicted to summer only...
  • Options
    I'm really trying to clear my closet out so I can get to this point, as well. I know this is bad, but I probably have over 37 dresses in my closet alone! :O Now that I'm not working outside of the home anymore, it's just totally unnecessary!

You can totally wear white after Labor Day. Just pair the white with more fall-like pieces. For example, you could wear white skinny jeans with an oversized fall cardigan, or a white blouse layered under a cute jacket. I don't have time for it much these days, but I used to be WAY into fashion before my LO arrived and that rule is definitely outdated, so there's no need to pack up everything that's white!
  • Options
    I am the weirdest person in the universe I guess, because I don't even think I own enough clothes to "go down" to 37 pieces??? Let alone per season!