Special Needs

whats normal for 17 month old (moved from toddler page)

hi there,

I am having issues with my daycare arrangement for my 17 month old.  I am a FTM and have been having issues with daycare provider not being able to get my daughter to nap which has spiraled into a whole bunch of things.  She thinks my daughter has Sensory processing disorder (SPD)  and has suggested I look into this.  I have online, I disagree....but for the sake of my daughter have decided to pursue with her doctor and have her evaluated by a place that specializes in 0-3 year olds.  This hasn't happened yet so in the meantime I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this disorder or has a child around this age if you could offer some information (really of any kind) that is typical of this age.  She will be 18 months at the end of September.

TIA

Re: whats normal for 17 month old (moved from toddler page)

• We're close in age. But we've known about the sensory issues since about 6 months. It's still good to see the early intervention program in your area. They're usually free.

How does your baby nap at home? It could be that the daycare is too noisy, etc.
  • My 4y/o has SPD. When she was 18 mos, she got overstimulated easily. If we missed her window of opportunity for nap, she wouldn't sleep. In fact, she stopped napping completely at 22 mos. She was/is very sensitive to noise (especially coughing, throat clearing, sneezing, and would wake up to creaks from our old floors), touch (only wears stretch pants and dresses), smell (she can tell you what you ate from your breath and can detect sweets from a mile away), and sight (bright sun was the devil!). Unlike most SPDers, she's never had an issue with foods.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • so I have since had her evaluation ... she has no issues and tested very well ... thank you everyone for your support and advice.  I will need to make a decision on the daycare but right now she is napping since I spent the day there so we will see.