November 2015 Moms

To be induced or not to be induced...

OK so I have a question. My doctor informed me at my last apt that she has boards the week of my due date. She knows I absolutely do not want the doctor that covers for her laying a finger on me or my child, he does everything from delivering babies, weight loss pills, to a full "mommy makeover" right after delivery (boobs, tummy tuck, a freaking nose job, all the above, plus there's rumors he'll c-sec just because, I've heard a baby died due to his bad decision making, plus I just know him outside of being a doctor, mind you I don't know whats true and what isn't I just would rather not go there)...so anyway she offered to induce me early. I'm all for it because of the situation but I was wondering what your opinions might be. I've read up on inducing and it doesn't sound like much fun, although delivery in general doesn't either. What would you ladies do if this was your situation? Take my chances and hope my doctor is around when the big day comes or plan to be induced beforehand just to make sure? TIA

Re: To be induced or not to be induced...

• If you feel comfortable with your doctor and your doctor only then I feel you should do what you think is in the best interest of you and more importantly your little peanut
    BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I really really like my doctor and would be devastated if he didn't deliver my baby. But I also understand that if your baby isn't ready to come on his/her own, then induction may not be the best. Have you asked your doctor their opinion? Maybe get a professional to weigh the pros and cons with you? Good luck in your decision!
  • I personally would never induce for a non-medical reason. It's obviously a decision that you should research to weigh the pros and cons. I would suggest specifically researching the effects of the drugs used in induction. Good luck with your decision!
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • I would wait until your LO comes on their own or needed to be induced for medical reasons. I know it's hard to put aside your dislike/discomfort with the other doctor, but you have to do what is best for your LO and you. You never know, your LO might come late and it will all work out!
  • If I were you, I would try and speak with some women who had to be induced. I think getting their perspective would help you to make an informed decision! Good luck, whatever you end up deciding!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am scheduled to induce a week early because it is what works for me due to a similar situation. You do what you are comfortable with and what works for you and your baby.
  • No way would I induce just because.  Also the doctor is literally there to catch the baby.  THe nurses are the ones that really help with labor, questions, and the whole process.  Also you yourself said you don't know what is true and what isn't.  So you are basing most of this on what is likely rumors and exaggerations.  That's silly.  His weight loss, tummy tucks whatever have nothing to do with YOU and YOUR actual labor and delivery.  If you have a birth plan, talk to the nurses about what you are hoping for unless medically necessary, you should be able to delivery how you choose.  If you induce early you are setting yourself up for statistically a harder more painful labor and increased chance of c-section. 

• I understand not wanting a particular doctor but in all honesty if this doc is that unprofessional and horrible, I'm surprised he is still licensed to practice. With that being said, have your birth plan done and given to both doctors as well as your support team. Talk to the nurses and make sure they fully understand what you want unless an emergency arises. Indictions are painful and nasty. Your body doesn't respond the same to pitocin as it does to oxytocin and labor kickstarts when your body and baby's body both release those hormones. Please weigh out all pros and cons as well as risk factors when making your decision because at the end of the day, the goal is a healthy baby.
  • lulamagoo said:

Nobody is going to give you a tummy tuck without written consent. They are expensive. (That being said if my doc threw one in for free I would totally take a mommy makeover)
    If you have never had a vaginal delivery before, your c section risk goes way up with induction. If you have had a successful vaginal delivery before then you're risk of c section goes down with induction.
    Another doctor in my practice delivered my son. I didn't know him as well and quite frankly I didn't care. He was in there for 40 minutes. My nurses and doula were the one that really helped. As a FTM I would not get induced for the reasons you stated.
    But if you are not comfortable with this doctor, you need to ask your OB for a referral to another practice.

I second the only catching the kid part. I was transferred by my midwives mid-induction to the on-call doctor because they felt I might get surgical. I had literally never met or heard of this person but after 3 1/2 hours of pushing and 20 hours of induction prior I didn't care in the least.
  • I wouldn't personally unless medically needed. You can research about that rumor of the baby dying due to him because if that happened there would be a lawsuit. He would probably lose his license if it was truly his fault. Also why would she have him covering for her if she didn't trust him. She is trusting him with her patients. It's rare to actually deliver on your due date so this can be a non issue.
  • I would not choose to induce. What I would do is hire a doula to be present at my birth. They will spend more time with you while you're laboring than a doctor would anyway, from what I've read. Then at least you get to choose the person who will spend the most time with you if you happen to go into labor when your regular doctor isn't available.
  • I would not choose to induce. What I would do is hire a doula to be present at my birth. They will spend more time with you while you're laboring than a doctor would anyway, from what I've read. Then at least you get to choose the person who will spend the most time with you if you happen to go into labor when your regular doctor isn't available.

Hiring a doula is great advice. Loved our doula!
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • My OB wasn't there for my second. One of the other doctors in her practice was there but even then the resident delivered my son. As PP said the nurses are they ones who are there not the doc.
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • I wouldn't, in reality even if you do get induced there is always a chance your doc is sick that day or for some other reason just cannot get there. Now you put yourself through something unneeded and still didn't get what you wanted. Also it's the nurses who really care for you, you will more then likely not see your doc much at all until catch time and then you get taken care of by the nurses again.

Making a baby come before they are ready can some times be more painful and add a bunch of time to you labor, and sometimes not.
  • I second pretty much what everyone else has been saying: I wouldn't induce unless medically necessary, the nurses are who is there the most, and honestly after being in labor and pushing, you really don't give a damn who is in the delivery room.

Hiring a doula is a great recommendation.

I was induced at 40w+3d because my water broke but labor didn't start. I heard horror stories about inductions but I honestly didn't think it was terrible. Not ideal but labor isn't exactly fun and games anyway lol. But with that being said, I don't think inducing before baby is ready to come out makes sense - there's a reason he/she is still waiting in there :)
  • Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it. I knew even after reading about induction that I should ask you gals for some input. Reading isn't always the same as actual advice from people.
  • I was 41wks 4days when I was induced with DS1. I have to say it was the worst experience of my life. 3 days in hospital (day 3 DS1 arrived) I would not for love nor money opt be induced ever again unless it's medical reasons.
    As PP's have said this is your first and you will more than likely go over your due date.
    So if your comfortable with waiting for your own Doctor then I suggest you do.
  • I didn't read through all the responses yet, but wanted to put my two cents in...I was scheduled to be induced with my first over a week before my due date. And it was a convenience thing...I ended up going into labor on my own the day before. From what I've heard from friends' stories I'm really glad I didn't end up being induced. I just had a friend who was a week over due and they induced her...over 48 hours later she still wasn't having that baby so they did a c section. If there's anything I can do to avoid a higher chance of serious abdominal surgery I am going to do it!!! And unfortunately as I'm sure at least one other person has or will mention that being induced increases your risk of c section.

Your other concern about the dr...I've mentioned this before but the dr who ended up delivering ds was my least favorite during my prenatal care, and she ended being awesome!! Now she wasn't low on my list for your specific reasons, but you really never know. Plus as many mentioned in could potentially be a non issue if you're late like many ftms are.

I don't know how accurate it is in your area, but my mil was a labor and delivery nurse and said that there can be big consequences for doctors who induce for convenience, and was mortified that mine (which that practice no longer provides ob services) was essentially willing to. She said recently the attention toward those types of procedures have increased so doctors doing that has decreased.

Good luck with your decision!
  • Just going to throw out there - a lot of how well an induction goes depends on your cervix. If, for example, you are dilated to 2 cm, 70% effaced, etc at 39 weeks, an induction (if you choose it!) is highly likely to be successful. If you feel that strongly about your doc, I would consider it in this situation. But if your cervix is not favorable, I wouldn't do any induction without a good medical reason.

Hope that helps!
  • I'm a FTM but based on the research I've done I'd lean towards avoiding induction if at all possible. Maybe you could hire a doula or another labor support person just in the off chance that you get stuck with the doctor you don't trust? At least that way you'd have someone else in the room advocating for you.
  • Just going to throw out there - a lot of how well an induction goes depends on your cervix. If, for example, you are dilated to 2 cm, 70% effaced, etc at 39 weeks, an induction (if you choose it!) is highly likely to be successful. If you feel that strongly about your doc, I would consider it in this situation. But if your cervix is not favorable, I wouldn't do any induction without a good medical reason.

Hope that helps!

I was basically going to say this. Is there any way you can wait until you are further along to make the decision? Or plan for it and if you are not starting to dilate or face by that time, just cancel the induction?

Also, does the hospital have other on call doctors? I find it hard to believe that he is the only other doctor that covers delivering babies at the hospital. Maybe if you go into labor that week she isn't available you could just call the hospital and request to use whatever doctor is on call at that time instead of your docs back up. You can also request to have copies of your pregnancy medical records with you if you want the on call doctor to be able to review them.

The nurses are typically the ones that run labor, but I could definitely see how certain decisions while you are actually delivering could put you or the baby at risk if things start to veer away from typical.

Bottom line, as long as you are prepared for all of the possibilities of inducing if the baby isn't ready to come out yet (long uncomfortable labor, possible c section, etc.) then as long as you are past 39 weeks (and as close to 40 as you can get) I would not judge.
  • I wouldn't get induced unless medically nessesary. I have to be induced due to blood thinners that I have to take on a daily basis so I have no choice then to be induced. I know feeling comfortable with your doctor is important but god forbid of an emergency and your doctor is not available you would end up having to use that doctor anyways.
  • I was induced and it worked out fine for me but I was also 10 days overdue and showing readiness signs.  I wouldn't do it early because you could be increasing your risk of a C-section.  I was nervous enough about doing it when I did it.  I only saw my doctor at the end of labor and by that point, I couldn't have cared less what doctor was there.  The nurses are who you will spend the most of your time with and luckily I had a great nurse.

• I wouldn't. I know you really really want YOUR doctor there and I completely understand that but from what I've read (I've been spending the last few weeks scouring the internet about this) you don't want to do this unless you go past the 40-42 week mark and baby needs oxygen. 
    Do unto others. 
  • Inducing for convenience is playing with fire. I don't recommend it, too many risks and complications. It's not something you want to do unless you have to
  • Thanks guys. Just sucks because one of my defenses against this doctor is I have yet to meet one person who he hasn't performed a c-section on anyway. I live in a small town and out of everyone I know only one person has recommended him. But she also has had three c-sections from him, and her last baby, she says was just a scary random thing, came out completely unresponsive and it took just over five minutes to bring him back. My exes mom used to work for him and has told me some serious horror stories. The only two things I don't know for sure is true or not is if he almost killed a baby, and / or if his license was taken away, but true or not he's most definitely got it back. I don't know if it's just rumors, nor do I know how that would even work, or where I could find the information out, but it freaks me out. I had no idea until recently he was the covering doctor for mine. Plus knowing him outside of his practice he's weird, like he came onto me when he was a patient in my office one day and totally creeped me out. It's just all bad. I'm definitely going to look into if someone else is in call of they can just stay and deliver me. I've read all the risks of being induced, and even though I don't necessarily want to, especially with everyone's inputs and thoughts on it, I'm still leaning towards it. Ahhhh. This is rough. I just want to know what's best for baby and I will be done, and knowing he tends to only do c-sections just because, doesn't make me feel safe or comfortable at all.
  • If you want to see if his license is in good standing, I would search your state's license look up (google *your state* professional regulation). It should be a matter of public record. Also, most facilities have pretty strict restrictions on practitioners with restricted licenses. This is a tough one- Good luck!
  • Tho there are risks, I don't think your dr would suggest it if she didn't think it would be successful. Maybe talk to her about any possible risk factors/concerns you have with the induction alone and see how you both feel after that.
    Anything can happen to lead to an unplanned c-section, hopefully that's not the case for you but something to think about.
  • I always hear horror stories of woman who were induced. I think our bodies know when the babies ready & doinginduction goes against nature. Let it take its course. I am so deathly afraid of being induced because of my high blood pressure. I have had normal baginal deliveries on my bodies time. I have had both of my babies within 4 hours of starting labor. I heard soooo many people who have had 20-30 hours of labor due to induction. Nooooo thank uuuuuuuu! :-j
  • I always hear horror stories of woman who were induced. I think our bodies know when the babies ready & doinginduction goes against nature. Let it take its course. I am so deathly afraid of being induced because of my high blood pressure. I have had normal baginal deliveries on my bodies time. I have had both of my babies within 4 hours of starting labor. I heard soooo many people who have had 20-30 hours of labor due to induction. Nooooo thank uuuuuuuu! :-j

I had 25 hours of labour WITHOUT an induction, so seriously it's all about your body. No one can tell you how it's gonna be. Bottom line what's more risk to you and baby, induction or the other doctor.
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • I have a question. If one is showing warning signs of pre-ecmpalsia, they might induce for that yes? 
    Do unto others. 
  • If you have or have warning signs of pre-eclampsia you will be admitted to hospital, and probably given medicines to lower the high blood pressure. Occasionally, pre-eclampsia is a reason to deliver the baby early. You may be offered induction of labour or a C-section if they can not lower the blood pressure.
  • I was induced with all four of my babies....it went smooth and they are happy and healthy. Come to find out I most likely will be induced with this one as well. She's been breached the whole time and has no intention of moving. I do not want to C-section