High-Risk Pregnancy

PPROM at 34 + 2

Hey everyone, wanted to share my story.

My water broke last Tuesday night. I was only 34 weeks. I am a type 1 diabetic (it was very well controlled throughout pregnancy), and I did have bacterial vaginosis around 32 weeks which was immediately treated with flagyl antibiotics.

Why does this happen sometimes? Could it have been the vaginal infection in combination with the diabetes?

My son has been in the NICU for a week, but he is improving day by day and is doing so much better. I am immensely grateful.

I just can't help but feel as though my body let him down. It's difficult with him still being at the hospital. I feel like he had so much more developing and growing to do within me.

Does anyone have any experience with PPROM? And if you did during your first pregnancy, was it the same case for your second pregnancy as well?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks ladies.

Re: PPROM at 34 + 2

• Sorry to hear you're going though this, but it sounds like your little man is doing well which is great news!

I had pPROM almost 1 year ago at 17 weeks and we lost our son. I had no warnings or no increased risk as we had a DD in 2011 at 39+6 who was perfectly healthy and a "text book" pregnancy as my OB kept saying.

While they aren't sure exactly what caused my water to break early, they suspect it was possibly an infection (BV; but I had zero symptoms) or maybe cervical insufficiency (even though my cervix this pregnancy has held steady between 3.7-4cm so they're not convinced it was that). Autopsy showed a perfectly healthy baby boy with no illnesses or issues, but there was an infection in my uterus (BV? or because my water was broke for 34 hours before I delivered? they can't tell) and my placenta was a little small.

I'm 25 weeks now with no issues so far, but I am at an increased risk for it to happen again so I'm being followed very closely by high risk OBs, on prometrium, frequent ultrasounds, monthly infection swabs, off work on modified bed rest, etc. I'm not sure what the reason was for my pPROM last year, but there was a reason for it because at 17 weeks, it doesn't "just happen". Thankfully you were far enough along for your son to be OK, even if a little early.
  • I'm sorry to hear of your loss, will be thinking of you. Sounds like you're on the right track! I hear sometimes progesterone suppositories are administered to help prevent PPROM from reoccurring, too?
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, they definitely are used for that. Because they don't know for sure what caused my pPROM they are covering the bases with me this time "just in case" it was cervix related. I started Prometrium around 14 weeks and will continue until 34 (or 36...I can't remember when the refills run out!)

And thank you! Hoping your little man comes home soon :)
  • Thank you. We are hopeful for a discharge tomorrow! :)

Curious what is prometrium?
  • Thank you. We are hopeful for a discharge tomorrow! :) Curious what is prometrium?

Prometrium is Progesterone. You can take it orally or vaginally. Vaginally is best as it goes exactly where it needs to much quicker (cervix, uerine lining, etc) 

Hopefully you're on your way home soon!