Baby Names

Help me before my baby is named Flynn

I'm due to have my 3rd baby boy on Sept.29th. The only name my husband is open to so far is Flynn. It came to him in a dream. I don't dislike the name but I don't love it. So help me see if I can convince him of something better, please.

The names I have proposed so far that he has rejected are:
Asher
Abram
August (Gus)
Caleb
Connor
Collin
Charles (Charlie)
Edward
Francis (Frankie)
Henry
Joel
Jonah
Leo
Lucas
Luke
Marcus
Maxwell (Max)
Nolan
Nathan/Nathaniel (Nate)
Nicholas (Nick)
Patrick
Roman
Reid
Sawyer
Theodore (Teddy)
Wesley (Wes)
Zachary (Zach)

and those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. Other suggestions?

Re: Help me before my baby is named Flynn

• hilazer_beamhilazer_beam member
    edited September 2015
    A lot of the names you have on your list, I also had on mine. We named our DS Elliott. I also like Cameron, Mitchell, Ethan, Calvin, and Wyatt (although super popular). I don't think Flynn is such a bad name though :)
  • I don't know if it's a legitimate name or not, but all i can think of is Lara Flynn Boyle. Also, since the name contains "Lynn" and is spelled with a "y" it seems sort of feminine. If you don't like it, maybe those thoughts will dissuade your husband from liking it so much!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You offered a great list if you don't love Flynn no reason to settle.

Malcolm
    Ethan
    Dominic
    Simon
    Seth
    Russell
    Phillip
    Franklin
    Zachary
    Archer
    Ronan
    Rowan
    Issac
    Vincent
    Christopher
    Cameron
    Micah
    Marshall
    Ian

Maybe set a date and tell your H he needs to bring a list of 15 names and you do the same and then see if there is any common ground

• Sounds like it's time for YH to bring you a list and you to have veto power for a while.
    Anniversary 
  • *Milo
    *Luca
    *Russell
    *Mason
    *Colton
    *Rally
    *Tanner
    *Levi
    *Colby
    *Carter
    *Ryder
    *Parker
    *Jude
    *Cooper
    *Brantley
    *Easton
    *Toby
    *Laken
    *Landon

My fav names! My hubby vetoed all but 4...
  • Can you compromise with Flynn as a mn? Flynn isn't a bad name, but it always reminds me of Errol Flynn and he wasn't exactly someone I'd want to name my kid after. 

I was in a similar position when we named our son . . . DH had his heart absolutely set on ONE name and eventually I gave in. This time he has another boy name in mind but I'm not backing down and letting him choose all the boy names. ;) I like the suggestion of having your husband bring you a list because having all of your faves get vetoed is frustrating.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks everyone. I certainly agree with those of you that said that he should have to give me a list now. Unfortunately, he won't. If I push him to give me other suggestions he will only make a joke out of it and give me ridiculous suggestions.
    My mother-in-law just tried getting other names out of him and had the same experience. She's actually even more invested in finding a different name than I am because she HATES Flynn. I don't hate it. I just want to try for something I like more. I do find it a little silly.
  • Tell him *insert your favorite name here* came to you in a dream and then refuse to back down or offer any alternative names. He is being a little ridiculous. You do have power of veto. Flynn is not the worst name in the world, but I can see why it wouldn't be something you absolutely love based off of your list.

If this had been a boy I had on my list:

Seth
    Rhett
    Lane
    Adam
    Phillip
    Christian
    Rowan
    Rory
    Cole

Love: 5/2004
    Marriage: 4/2008
    Baby Carriage #1: 5/2012
    Baby Carriage #2: 1/2016

• Finn?
    Felix?

I agree with PPs, it sounds like you are trying very hard to be reasonable and your husband is not.  If it were me, and I didn't love the name, I would probably tell my husband that our child will leave the hospital as "Baby Boy" because I am not signing a birth certificate with the name Flynn on it.  If he's not the only one raising the child, then he doesn't get to be the only one naming the child.  

A family friend of mine actually told her husband "I carried this baby for 9 months and pushed him out of my vagina, I'm going to name him".  Maybe not the most reasonable response, but something to think about.
  • Flynn Rider from Tangled is all I can think of when I hear this now. 
  • Sorry forgot to add, I really like Patrick in your choices 
  • Your husband's being ridiculous. This isn't the way baby naming works.
  • What about Arthur?
  • I like Asher and Nicholas :)
  • having a h who refuses to compromise on YOUR child's name is a big problem
  • Isn't Flynn what Walter Whites son wants to be referred to on the show Breaking Bad? His teenage son insists on changing his son to the name "Flynn" from "Walter Jr" because he's having an adolscent identity crisis.

That's what this name makes me think of - an adolescent boy who has no clue who he really is... And meth.

I think your suggestions are great. I would tell your H it's a no on Flynn and he needs to have better dreams. Or stop watching so much breaking bad.
  • I think Flynn is a sweet name. I'm a sucker for a good 'how I got my name' story and think Flynn's would be a great one, "it came to my father in a dream!"

Anyway, I agree that you should veto if you don't like it but if you've come around to it don't be stubborn just because you didn't like it at first.

Good luck!!
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited September 2015
    He might be partial to Irish names? What about Ronan? Or Finn? I'm not a huge fan of Finn but it's cute enough and close to Flynn. What about Glen? My husband rejected every name I came up with. I finally got wise to the fact that he was just rejecting anything he didn't propose himself(around the time he vetoed Anthony and then suggested it two days later) So when we found out it was a girl, and I found our daughter's name, I slipped it into his field of vision in such a way as to make him think it was his idea. He liked it and viola. Our girl has her name.