1st Trimester

Babies and dog allergies

Hi there. Forgive me if there's already a thread on this (I searched!) but I have had this little fear in the back of my head that our baby might be born with a dog allergy. We have two dogs (both poodle mixes and very low shed) and it would kill me if we had to give them away. My partner has no history of allergies but I have a very mild one (hence the type of dogs we have) and my mom has an allergy more to cats (ours don't seem to bother her). Does anyone know how likely it is for a baby to be born with a dog allergy? Is there anything that can be done to prevent? Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Babies and dog allergies

• I don't have an answer to your question, but this is a concern of mine, too. It would be heartbreaking to give away my dog! And, really, history of allergies may not even be a good predictor. Neither of my parents are allergic, but when I was a baby I was VERY allergic (they gave away their dog). 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• I would think talking to a pediatrician would be the best option. Good luck :)
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Loading the player...
  • Hm.. I hadn't thought about this because I kept reading that having a dog in the household helps the baby's immune system by getting used to germs. Thanks for food for thought!
  • This is on my mind too. We have 4 cats in the house!
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• kimey1 said:

Hm.. I hadn't thought about this because I kept reading that having a dog in the household helps the baby's immune system by getting used to germs. Thanks for food for thought!

Oh no! I hope I didn't give you something else to worry about!! I just read some of that too. Seems in most cases the allergies don't develop until later on and exposure to dogs can help. Let's hope that's the case!
  • kmallskmalls member
    edited September 2015
    I was mildly worried about that with DS as we have two dogs and a cat. My husband has severe outdoor allergies but nothing pet-related. The baby is now 6 months old and he's never shown any issue at all. I think you'll be fine -- just keep thinking positive thoughts!
  • My DD's pediatrician said children raised with animals are less likely to have allergies later on. We have 4 animals and DD has shown no allergies to anything so far.
  • I was worried about my first having allergies because I have fairly severe allergies myself. I am allergic to some dogs but it is specific to the dog, not the breed, so I have a dog that is about 8 now. Our daughter has shown no issues or allergies so far. As a few other posters have said, having your kids around animals usually helps them not have issues with being allergic to them. Every kid and person is different but I wouldn't worry about it for now. 
  • Children who are raised around dogs or cats (specifically from birth) actually have less likelihood of developing allergies (or having mild allergies worsen). My SIL and MIL both have violent cat and dog allergies, but my husband does not and neither do either of my SILs two kids. The baby will probably be fine. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Thanks everyone! You've definitely helped to ease my worries!