Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

How long will you wait to try again?

Just curious how long you are planning to wait until trying again. What did your doctors say about how long you should wait? I had a natural m/c and my doctor said "We usually advise people to wait 2-4 cycles before trying again". I have no idea why and 4 cycles seems like a lot, especially considering I'm miscarrying naturally and early. (7 wks when I found out) I was too numb and in shock to really ask questions at my appt last Thursday but I go in again this Thursday for another beta and follow up ultrasound, so I intend to ask more questions. From talking to close friends who have been through miscarriages, it seems some doctors say you are more fertile after a miscarriage and have not put those sorts of restrictions on trying again. Being as this is my first miscarriage, I just can't figure out why 4 months would be necessary. 

Again, planning on asking these questions at my next appt, I am just curious about your experiences.
Married 2007 - DH & I: 39
DS #1: Sept 2011
TTC #2 January 2015:  BFP 8/1/2015, MC 8/27/2015 
Surprise BFP 6/28/17... Chemical pregnancy confirmed:  7/2/2017
TTC #2 again:  July 2017

Re: How long will you wait to try again?

• Different doctors told me different things. It varied from 2 cycles to 6. The one who said 6 said it was because of the bleeding associated with the birth (I was further along then you) that I needed to get my iron level back to normal. I've had blood tests though and my haemoglobin is normal so I think Im good. Im planning on waiting 2 just so I have a bit of a base line for how long my cycle is. I'm not going all out on trying, like temping, because I always forget to do it every day. I might get an ovulation test just to see if Im ovulating, because I've heard a lot of people take a while to start ovulating again. Thats another reason some doctors say to wait, so there's a baseline to work out your edd from.

Little boy due July 31st 2016

• I was told 2 cycles.
  • Loading the player...
  • After both I was told to wait 1 cycle.
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• My first loss (at 10 weeks with a D&C) I was told to wait 3 cycles so we did even though most things I read on the internet said it wasn't necessary. We didn't get pregnant for seven more cycles but when we did, we lost it too. It was a chemical pregnancy so my doctor recommended just waiting one cycle which we did. We tried for about six more cycles and got pregnant but lost it also at 9 weeks followed by a D&C. My doctor which has been the same for all three losses, told me that new research and studies don't seem to indicate waiting is necessary. She told us to wait at least six weeks but said we could then try again.

We aren't going to because we are waiting chromosomal analysis. I just want to point out that my thought process was always if I were to loose another one, I wouldn't want the added guilt of knowing we tried again against the doctor's recommendation even though in our case, the babies died anyway even despite the fact that we waited the appropriate time frame.

Ultimately, it is your decision and in my own not a doctor opinion, I don't see a lot of evidence that shows waiting is necessary. I always recommend following the doctor's advice though.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• I am so sorry for your loss! :(

My husband and I just miscarried out first baby at 8 weeks naturally. My doctor said to wait 2-3 cycles. We are really anxious to try again!

Prayers for you and good luck with your doctors appointment!
  • I had a D&C, and my doctor said we could start trying right away.
  • I had my miscarriage back in July and mid August at my follow up call the midwife said I could try again as soon as my first period was over, she said aslong as I was emotionally ok there was absolutely no medical reason or proof that should wait any longer x
  • I was told 2, but that we could wait 1 if we wanted
  • I was told we could try again once I had a post-loss period and that's what we plan to do.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • My doctor told me there was no right or wrong time physically it's more a mental thing, can you cope with the anxiety you might experience and deal with the loss before trying again etc. I lost a twin pregnancy at 11.5 weeks on June 26 this year. I waited 6 weeks for my period to return and have found out today I'm 2 weeks pregnant. I felt ready and didn't feel like I was rushing things. As my dr. Said, if your body's not ready you won't conceive.
  • My doctors have said after the first period though I've spent a ton of time looking at the primary literature on this and outcomes are definitely not worse trying right away. There isn't really any good data on trying if you ovulate before your first period, but plenty of people get pregnant and have healthy babies. Others have another miscarriage. The recommendation to wait at least until the first period is partly so it's easier to date the pregnancy, and partly because there just aren't good studies on it yet, but that gives a little better emotional time frame as well for a lot of people. For me I finally miscarried when I would have been 10w2d, but baby had stopped growing at 6w. I'm going to be NTNP this cycle as soon as my hcg is back to negative, even before the first period, and we'll try all out again with opks/temping after the first period. I don't want any confusion about whether it's the old pregnancy or a new pregnancy so I will be using condoms until the hcg goes down, just because I don't think I could handle that emotionally - thinking I might be pregnant and finding out its still the miscarriage would be too much.
  • Thanks for everyone's replies. @khall0 congrats! So happy for you :)

@DrKariC that's kind of what I had in mind as far as hcg level going down as well because it could really mess with a girl! I get another hcg draw tomorrow and I'm really curious about where I'm at. I guess in my head, I thought it made most sense to wait for one period after miscarriage then try again. I feel a sense of urgency now that I didn't before my loss. But I definitely don't want any confusion as far as whether it's a new pregnancy, or just my hcg refusing to drop. 

Also, planning on asking more questions as far as why she thinks it is necessary to wait longer than the one cycle just to see what the reasoning is. DH thinks he remembers her saying "2 months, sometimes 4" which makes little sense to me unless she is taking emotional health into consideration. Either way, I appreciate all of your comments!
    Married 2007 - DH & I: 39
    DS #1: Sept 2011
    TTC #2 January 2015:  BFP 8/1/2015, MC 8/27/2015 
    Surprise BFP 6/28/17... Chemical pregnancy confirmed:  7/2/2017
    TTC #2 again:  July 2017
  • I was told we could try again after one cycle pending testing results since I've had 3 m/cs. Now they are doing more testing since nothing has come up and they want me to wait another cycle before trying again even though they don't think anything is going to show on any of these test either. It's frustrating and I hate giving up a month of trying. 
    DD 6/2007
    DS 4/2009
    m/c 11/12/2010 ~ 7 wks
    m/c 7/4/2012 ~ 6 wks
    DD 12/2013
    mmc Baby Girl 7/12/2015 ~ 14 weeks  <3
    Twin girls! 8/26/2017

• congrats khall0 ! 
    DD 6/2007
    DS 4/2009
    m/c 11/12/2010 ~ 7 wks
    m/c 7/4/2012 ~ 6 wks
    DD 12/2013
    mmc Baby Girl 7/12/2015 ~ 14 weeks  <3
    Twin girls! 8/26/2017

• has anyone had their HCG monitored and seen it fluxuate within the "non pregnant" Range? I have had my HCG tested every week and last week it was a 1 and this week it is up to a 4. 4 is still considered not pregnant i just think its weird it's fluxuating.. the dr. doesnt seem to be concerned. 
  • My doctor told me to wait at least 2 normal cycles but the Doctor where I had my D&C to wait for at least 1 cycle. It's been 2 month's since my D&C and right now I am waiting for a period to start I did a pregnancy test and it's negative. So we are already trying for a baby