July 2015 Moms
Options

Oversupply?

Have any of you ladies delt with oversupply? I'm thinking that is what I have and it is something I wasn't expecting.

He coughs and chokes when he feeds and he's almost non stop fussy between feedings (it seems to be a lot of gas). I have tried pulling him off when my let down starts and catch it in a towel, I have also resorted to horizontal feedings hoping that the excess milk leaks out of his mouth but it is causing a lot of back pain. I have tried the football hold and he hates it. Some nights he will pull off of me and scream and cry until I pull him back on, and it begins this awful fighting of him wanting my breast and not. I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any other tips to help with this?

The only time he stops crying or being fussy is if he is asleep and it breaks my heart. I feel like it is my fault and I want to help him.

Answers

• Options
    Yes I have had the exact same problem. Started when he was around 4 weeks old. I tried different methods as you mentioned for a week before deciding to switch to pumping and bottle feeding. He still chokes and gags with probably 50% of feedings so we are having a swallow study with speech therapy next week to make sure he's not aspirating milk into his lungs making him cough. Overactive letdown is so frustrating. I'm doing my best to stick pumping out...it's hard with a 19 month old and newborn but I've been doing it a week now and it's getting easier and routine. I still attempt to breastfeed at night since he's usually less aggressive and isn't near affected by the oversupply as he is during the day. Have you consulted with a lactation consultant?
  • Options
    I had the same problem ! Try blockfeeding it worked for me and now feedings are going much better- talk to a lactation consultant to help you - you don't have to pump and bottle feed ! (Unless you want to ) this problem also gets better as baby gets older - 2-3 months :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @nemRN I was block feeding since probably 2.5 weeks, not really knowing that's what I was doing lol but just bc that's how baby wanted to nurse. Didn't work :( I'm praying by 2 or 3 months we can get back to breastfeeding during the day and not just at night, I actually miss it!
  • Options
    I'm dealing with the same problem. Unfortunately I haven't quite figured it out. I tend to just let her nurse when she is asleep. She swallows better that way. My LC also recommended a nipple shield to help slow the flow down to what they would get with a bottle. My kid just refuses to latch with the shield on.
  • Options
    I dealt with that for several weeks. Now in week 8 and finally getting better. LO was gagging, stealing and very gassy spitting up afterwards. Try block feeding as someone suggested-only using one side for several times, like 6 hours, then switch. Don't use pump at all. Should go away after 2-3 days. Every time I use pump it comes back again. Good luck!
  • Options
    We are dealing with it as well. La Leche League has a great article covering just about any question you could have on the topic.

https://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html