Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Constant grunting/straining?

Visiting from the 0-3 month board! Since about 2 weeks my now 7 week old son spends most of his awake time (and most of his time asleep too actually) grunting and straining like he's trying to poop. Most of the time he doesn't cry but he will get frustrated enough that he cries sometimes. I'm currently in the middle of switching to a new formula, EleCare, but I'm worried it won't help. I'm worried he's not sleeping as well as he should and it breaks my heart to see him so uncomfortable when he's awake.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, how long did it take before it got better? I'm hoping there is light at the end of the tunnel!
Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Constant grunting/straining?

• I give a bottle of formula to my DD every night before bed. Other than that we BF. LO was grunting the same as you explained and a friend suggested to switch formula. Some control Palm Oil which causes irritation.

At first we were using Enfamil but switched to Similac since they have in bold letters does not contain palm oil.

Hope this helps :)
  • Our LO was doing the same thing (right around this same time). I was breastfeeding however, I read that it can be caused by consuming too much foremilk and not enough hind milk at one time. After I switched to pumped breast milk (where the fore and the hind milk could be combined better) no more grunting. It sounds like you are just doing formula? I work in nutrition at a Children's hospital and EleCare is a formula that is used for helping babies that might have trouble breaking down their food, such as proteins. My thought is that this new formula might help. Also, I haven't used these but my mother who has done daycare for 30 years swears by them, gripe water, you can buy them at Target and its basically a liquid tums, with ginger and fennel. She has seen improvements with this product. https://www.target.com/p/lt-2pk-2oz-gripe-water-2pk-2-2oz/-/A-13946477#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=gripe+water . I would just check the age use for them. I hope this helps, Good Luck!

• Loading the player...
  • delujm0delujm0 member
    edited October 2015

**Removed for TOU Violation**

No. No no no no no no no. Do not give an infant any liquids that haven't been cleared by your pediatrician.
  • What is up with this post about this tea all over the place?! Is it an ad, has it been reported..?
  • My LO used to grunt a lot while asleep since birth. She ended up having reflux. We treated the reflux (medication for about 4 months, endfamil AR ready to serve formula, keeping her upright 30 min. after feedings) and it went away in about a month.