Parenting after 35
Options

Baby weight loss check in: 8/31/15

1. How many weeks postpartum?

2. How many pounds do you want to lose to reach your pre-baby weight (most recent child)?

3. How many pounds do you want to lose to reach your ideal weight?

4. What is your overall plan?

5. How did last week go?

6. What is your plan for the upcoming week?

QOTW - Do you incorporate your baby/child/family in your weight loss/exercise activities?  If so, how?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby weight loss check in: 8/31/15

• Options
    2. How many pounds do you want to lose to reach your pre-baby weight (most recent child)?
    Actually adhering to a plan would be a good start, lol.
    5. How did last week go?
    Not great.  I keep fluctuating from my pre-preg weight and two pounds higher.  Super frustrating, but I have to admit that I have not been as focused as I should be.
    Fiance and I are both on the same page with losing weight.  We are committed to walking in the evenings and eating at home.  And no wine with dinner.  
    QOTW - Do you incorporate your baby/child/family in your weight loss/exercise activities?  If so, how?
    We walk the park in the evenings with Chloe.  And I've taken her to baby-wearing yoga, which has been fun and hard!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    13 weeks
    3-5
    10-ish
    So far, BF seems to be working well for weight loss, so I haven't really had to do anything specific. It's great that I can really focus on strength training. One, because it's still super hot and hard to get out running. But really because losing the weight doesn't mean much if I still look/feel flabby. 

5. How did last week go?
    Lost another 2 pounds in the last couple weeks. 

Not backsliding now that I'm back to work and am more sedentary with more access to treats. My goal is to get in 1/2 hour of exercise 5 days a week. Mostly videos right now, and some running or hiking.

I'll take LO out in the chariot jogging stroller or hike with him in the carrier.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    jerseygirl227 - don't get too discouraged - seems like you've gotten back to your pp weight pretty fast, which should feel good!
    Also, I looked up that studio you mentioned, looks fun! Especially the barre class :) Bummer that the classes are during work hours (those I'm interested in) and kinda far away, or I would totally go! Awesome you are able to take advantage while still on leave.
    Me-37, DH-38

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    xuxachixuxachi member
    edited September 2015
    1. 19 weeks

2/3. 3ish lbs. but also need to tone up.

4. Overall plan has been to run 3x week and to eat smart.

5. Plan started off pretty well last week - ran 2x during the week, then came down with a cold at the end of the week, so skipped my weekend run.  Eating has been okay, but my nightly dessert is creeping back in (just polished off a bowl of ice-cream infact!).  I am now fitting into all my pre-pregnancy clothes, so I'm feeling good and I guess being a bit less strict about the desserts.  I also am feeling a lot more hungry during the days - I think that the running combined with baby wanting more milk as he gets older is making me need more food - so having the dessert seems like an okay thing to do right now (it's a mind trap!).

6. Need a new plan starting next week, as the older kids will start preschool and I will lose my 2x week babysitter.  I also will shift into exercise for weight maintenance mode and overall toning (and cuz it feels good).  I really like running and thought that I would jog with my baby while the other kids were in school (there's a nice wooded path right by the school even), but I've just read that baby needs to be 6-8 months to safely sit in a jogging stroller.  really??  I'm so bummed, since that will take me to Dec/Jan timeframe and not an ideal time to be out jogging with a baby (I used to run in winter in Chicago all the time, so I personally love cold weather running).  

So considering other options: discover more videos I can do at home while baby sleeps (focused on overall toning? would I really stick to those?), maybe join a gym that has childcare (ugh - I hate gyms!), maybe invest in a piece of exercise equipment for cardio in my home through the winter (would I really ride a stationary bike or whatever in my basement)? Just consider brisk walking with baby several times a week until he's old enough for the jogger?

QOTW - I like to take walks with the kids, but they are kind of a PITA these days.  The 4 yo and 2 yo fight over who sits where in the stroller, or my 4 yo wants to walk/ride bike, etc. and slows us down (or can't go very far), or they complain the whole way because they want to go to the park instead.  It's not a lot of fun.  I used to do my exercise DVDs when my DS was around, and he was really cute about it, trying to do the moves with me, but inevitably would always get in the way, or take the weights away in the other room, or roll up the yoga mat or what have you.  Cute, but not really conducive to getting a good workout.  So I stopped that. 
    DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
  • Options
    @mindaa what videos do you do and what are you doing for strength training?
  • Options
    xuxachi said:

One that I really like right now is Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (it has four 3-minute workouts. I used to do 2 at a time, now I'm lucky to finish one!). I also like P90X, but only do a handful of the videos.
    There is a health/exercise board here where you might find some other suggestions, I know PiYo is a really popular one right now. Let me know if you find anything you really like -  I might have to update my collection as it looks like I'll be using them more than ever - I used to go to a gym for strength, but  going to have to cancel.

Might be too late to be worth the investment, but I was able to purchase an infant insert to use in the jogging stroller until LO is big enough for the regular seat. 
    You reminded me that I am really dreading those awkward toddler years where LO is too big to sit quietly in the stroller but too little to join in. :-S
    Me-37, DH-38

• Options
    mindaa said:

xuxachi said:

One that I really like right now is Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (it has four 3-minute workouts. I used to do 2 at a time, now I'm lucky to finish one!). I also like P90X, but only do a handful of the videos.
    There is a health/exercise board here where you might find some other suggestions, I know PiYo is a really popular one right now. Let me know if you find anything you really like -  I might have to update my collection as it looks like I'll be using them more than ever - I used to go to a gym for strength, but  going to have to cancel.

Might be too late to be worth the investment, but I was able to purchase an infant insert to use in the jogging stroller until LO is big enough for the regular seat. 
    You reminded me that I am really dreading those awkward toddler years where LO is too big to sit quietly in the stroller but too little to join in. :-S

I didn't know there was an exercise board or the infant insert - I'll look them up. Thanks!!

I did Jillian Michaels get fit in 30 for 2 months post pardom and it worked great, but I can only mentally engage in that stuff for short bursts of time. I might check out the 30 day shred and see what that's about.