November 2014 Moms
Options

Baby refuses to eat solid foods

Does anyone else have a LO that is refusing thicker consistency foods? My son won't eat anything beyond the 6-month stage foods because when I try to feed him anything else (mashed banana, tiny pieces of bread, Stage 3 baby food) he gags horribly and then usually vomits up anything I fed him prior to that. He eats the freeze-dried yogurt drops for babies that dissolve easily in the mouth but other than that I'm at a loss and getting worried about his eating habits. He only has one tooth at the moment. Does that have any effect on why he won't eat other foods?

Re: Baby refuses to eat solid foods

• Options
    My daughter has no teeth and eats many different textures. Maybe ask the doctor. I don't think he should be gagging. Nor do I think teeth have anything to do with it. My daughter just mashes food with her gums.
    Good luck. Just be reassured he is getting all his needs meet with formula or breastmilk still.
  • Options
    How old is your son?  Are you spoon feeding the thicker foods? 

Since your son likes the freeze dried yogurt drops have you tried puffs or cheerios?  Maybe your son wants to try feeding himself.  I would keep offering but don't force.

Food before one is just for fun.  Babies should be getting their primary nutrients from breast milk or formula until age 1.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    can2014can2014 member
    edited September 2015
    Our LO refuses thicker foods too. Our pedi told us to try soft table foods and we haven't had any luck with that either. My mom friends have told me it's a texture thing and eventually she will eat it when she's ready. We've just been trying everyday without pushing it so she doesn't hate food all together.
  • Options
    Gagging is normal. I did Baby Led Weaning and Kenna gagged a lot in the beginning and threw up a few times. Its not going to hurt them. Its actually going to teach them to move food around before choking. It will take LO time to get used to it though. But don't push food if LO is not into it. Keep going with the stuff he will eat because it is good practice. He and you will get it figured out. Friend of mine's LO didn't do a lot solids until after 14m and the Dr was not worried one bit.

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• Options
    My son is 11 months now and we introduced solids right around 6 months. Like griffin was saying babies have a smaller passageway for food than adults. They must learn to swallow essentially. My LO did throw up several times. We started with mashed up bananas in his cereal or oatmeal in the mornings. Then moved on to the snacks like the yogurt drops and cookies when he started getting his teeth in around 6 months. In the puréed foods we added cereal for more texture. Just like any good parent should be doing, just supervise your LO when they eat solids so you can sweep their mouths or pat them on the back when they are chocking. It's pretty traumatizing the first few times. Hope this helps. Just start small!
    Cheers