Baby Names

Thoughts on Mary Kate

Hi everyone. I'm here from the D15 board to get your opinions on Mary Kate. We are team green, but this is one of the names I like for a girl. I have multiple questions. First, to hyphenate or not? Mary Kate vs. Mary-Kate? Or Mary Katherine (Katherine being the middle name) and call her Mary Kate? If hyphenated, would I also select a middle name for her? I would like to hear your thoughts. And if you just don't like the name period, you can tell me that too. It won't hurt my feelings. Thanks!

Re: Thoughts on Mary Kate

• Loading the player...
  • @magsugar13 the Olsen twins did almost ruin this name for me.
  • wassuphoeswassuphoes member
    edited August 2015
    All I can think is the Olsen twins.

I would do first name Mary middle name Katherine.
  • I would do first name Mary middle name Katherine just to give her more options. If you hyphenate her first name as Mary-Kate it limits what she could go by.

Love Mary Kate, BTW. I wish my DH would've gone for it, but he thought of the Olsen twins too.
  • Mary Kate and Ashley...or Mary Katherine, sister to Elizabeth Smart who witnessed her kidnapping. I would go with a different name.
  • I like Mary Kate. I would do Mary Katherine and call her Mary Kate. The hyphen seems like a pain

• I wouldn't hyphenate. It's just a pain. Mary Kate or Mary Katherine are both nice.
  • Thanks ladies. I was afraid the Olsen twin association was just too strong and you all helped confirm that. I'm moving on from this name.
  • There are similar double names that you could consider without worrying about the Olsen association.  I know little girls named Gracie Kate and Mary Alice.
  • No one threw out the SNL reference for Mary Katherine??? I'm kind of disappointed in all of you.

I really like Mary Kate but you're right about the Olsen association. There are certainly worse people to be associated with and those girls turned out to be pretty successful women so there's that... maybe keep it as a back up.
  • No one threw out the SNL reference for Mary Katherine??? I'm kind of disappointed in all of you.

I really like Mary Kate but you're right about the Olsen association. There are certainly worse people to be associated with and those girls turned out to be pretty successful women so there's that... maybe keep it as a back up.

This. Google Molly Shannon/ Mary Catherine Gallagher. Anyone who grew up in the late 90s / early 2000s should know this reference! I would not name my child this.
  • No one threw out the SNL reference for Mary Katherine??? I'm kind of disappointed in all of you. I really like Mary Kate but you're right about the Olsen association. There are certainly worse people to be associated with and those girls turned out to be pretty successful women so there's that... maybe keep it as a back up.
    I think Mary Katherine is a pretty name but I will forever associate it with the SNL skit. Her classmates likely would not know what this is, but adults will.

LFAF Awards

me: 27 | husband: 35
    IR PCOS  dx Sept. 2014

married May 2015 --> started NTNP
    BFP 6.28.15 - EDD 3.6.16 
    baby #1 born 2.19.16 

TTC #2 in April 2017
    BFP 12.30.17 - EDD 9.6.18

Fertility Friend Chart
  • I love love love mary-Kate. I wanted it for my DD and everyone said the same to me. It's such a classic name. I like it.
  • provwifeprovwife member
    edited September 2015
    I like it actually. I don't think our children's generation will know who Mary Kate and Ashley were. And...I don't see them making some sort of come back into stardom any time soon.
  • provwife said:
    I like it actually. I don't think our children's generation will know who Mary Kate and Ashley were. And...I don't see them making some sort of come back into stardom any time soon.
    I was thinking the same.  I think they are designers now or something, definitely abandoned acting.  Anyway, there are other girl names I like just as well so I'm moving on from this one.  I really like the idea of a double first name and this one was my favorite of the doubles I looked at.  
  • provwifeprovwife member
    edited September 2015
    RSB1982 said:

provwife said:

I was thinking the same.  I think they are designers now or something, definitely abandoned acting.  Anyway, there are other girl names I like just as well so I'm moving on from this one.  

I really like the idea of a double first name and this one was my favorite of the doubles I looked at.  

Kate is such a great name all on it's own! I'd you do decide a double first name i'd definitely keep Kate in there :)
    Margret Kate
    Molly Kate
    Anna Kate
    Hannah Kate
    Sarah Kate
    Emma Kate/Ella Kate...lots of options :)

• @provwife I'm leaning towards Catherine as a first name and calling her Kate.  Catherine Elise is at the top of my girl list right now.  Followed closely by Caroline Eve :-)
  • RSB1982 said:

@provwife I'm leaning towards Catherine as a first name and calling her Kate.  Catherine Elise is at the top of my girl list right now.  Followed closely by Caroline Eve :-)

Both of those are great!
  • I think Mary Kate is a beautiful name!!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mary Katherine and called her Mary Kate.

LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails