3rd Trimester

Overwhelming anxiety and depression

for the past week I've been dealing with my anxiety and depression times that are almost unbearable to control
I'm not suicidal or anything just really anxious down and depressed is anyone else dealing with this?

Re: Overwhelming anxiety and depression

• J&&K0112 said:

for the past week I've been dealing with my anxiety and depression times that are almost unbearable to control
    I'm not suicidal or anything just really anxious down and depressed is anyone else dealing with this?

I don't personally deal with either issue, but this is something you should definitely discuss with your doctor ASAP.
  • I have been dealing with severe anxiety for the past 5 years so I hear you. It's even worse when you are pregnant and can't do anything about it. I have been trying to relax myself when I feel a panick attack coming on and I try a couple things that help me. I rub my hand in between my thumb and pointer finger which helps distract me and I also think to myself this too shall pass (as all panick attacks do) My dog of 5 years passed away 3 weeks ago in a terrible accident which waa getting me really depressed and then my 11 week old puppy was stolen a week ago and I still haven't gotten her back. This is giving me anxiety and i feel depression creeping up. All I can do about feeling depressed is know that it's not good for the baby and I need to stop dwelling on things I can't control. It's hard but it can be managed atleast until you are able to medicate. I am on a low dose of cylexa (celexa)? As I was taking it before pregnancy. Talk to your doctor and see if you can start something for that so it doesn't get worse and can help you Incase post partum depression happens. Let me know If I can help at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am a first time mum with a history of anxiety. I have been having spikes in my anxiety more recently and feelings of low mood every now and again. The most important thing which you are doing is flagging these feelings. Hormones make everyone feel emotional however more so with a history of mental heath struggles. I have an amazing app called 'mind the bump' developed to assist in supporting positive mental health and mindfulness during pregnancy. I've found the audio great for even helping get to sleep.
    However I would also flag it with you local doctor and or OB. There are many support sugar end out there to assist us. Its healthier for you and bub to be relaxed.
    Hope you're feeling better soon. Don't worry there are mums feeling just like you.
    Let me know how you find the app.
  • My dr I have begged her for some sort of help and so far she just sent me to a counselor
  • I'll def try it
  • I had unbearable anxiety due to grief, but honestly what helped me the most was a counselor.  It was nice having a professional to talk to who primarily just listened to me.  

Another thing that helped me was starting a " Worry Journal."   I would write down all of my current worries in the journal and then occasionally I would look back at past entries and think " Oh, yeah that's right.  I was really worried about that a few months ago but now I'm not.  Maybe my current worries will go away too."  It really helped to put everything into perspective and tell myself " Self, I know you are really worried about this now, but just know that in a few weeks you probably will move on to a new worry because this is what you do." 
  • I don't feel worried about a specific thing my panic just seems to come out of no where
  • I also have these deep bouts of total panic for absolutely no reason. I have no idea where they come from. I try to relax, distract myself, breathe deeply and try to figure out why it's happening. I think it might be the hormones and anxiety associated with pending labor and the fact that it freaks me out...
  • This is me
  • I am 9 months , on my second child, and have been having anxiety stacks tge past two months. I'm usually able to talk through them, dis bunk any irrational thoughts, deep breathing, readjusting positions, if sitting stand and vice versa. I have a lot of personal things going on and thus know the source but nevertheless still experience the anxiety. I'm. Trauma therapist and luckily have been able to utilize techniques I've taught to others. I suggest, of course avoiding as much stress as possible, meditation when you first wake up or in the midst of your day, some sort of exercise, walking. And the most important is being able to talk yourself through irrational thoughts. I also post on little shits of paper throughout the house positive thoughts to think on all day. I hope it gets better for you.
  • J&&K0112 said:

My dr I have begged her for some sort of help and so far she just sent me to a counselor

A counsellor will be great to help with management of the panic. Just work with anything that helps reduce the stress. Take care.
  • I have a very long history of major depression, stress disorder and an anxiety disorder which seemed to stabilize during 1st and 2nd trimester but came crashing down on me at the start of the 3rd. You shouldn't go through the rest of your pregnancy like this and you are going to want to sort out these issues before delivery since if you're dealing with them now there's a good chance you'll have to deal with postpartum depression. What I didn't know is that there ARE therapists and psychiatrists who specialize in perinatal depression. I get that you're skeptical of a counselor but depression tends to be characterized by lows of 2 or more weeks so if this continues you really need to go. It doesn't have the stigma around it that is used to and there are only select medications deemed safe for these issues during pregnancy which are really only prescribed when the need is severe.