September 2015 Moms
Options

Big Brother or Big Sister gifts

I am looking for some "Happy Big Brother Day" gifts for my little guy. What have you given in the past or are planning on giving? Need some ideas please.:)

Re: Big Brother or Big Sister gifts

• Options
    I bought DD a shirt that says "Coolest Sister Ever" and a book I am a Big Sister. Those are from me and DH. We also bought an Elmo plush for little sister to give her when she comes home. Nothing big, but just enough to make her feel special.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    I always make handmade shirts for my girlfriends kids when they have another baby, they love it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm looking into getting a little kids table for DS1 and Little Brother to play and craft at as they grow up together.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got DD (2yo) a necklace on Etsy. It has her initial and says "big sis." She is all about accessories right now so I think she'll be excited. I want to get a little something for her to give the baby too but I haven't figured that out yet.
  • Options
    We bought our son a new back pack (he loves his back pack). It's filled with a new train, m&ms, a thing of play doh and some of his cars he has already haha I'm planning on buying a "busy book" from Barnes ands noble. It's $10 and is a book, plastic toys and a playmate to play with the toys on. It's more of a hospital boredom buster gift. He'll be 3 in November just as an age reference.
  • Options
    For my 3yr old son we are getting him some things to play with while I'm in labor. We are having a homebirth so he will he here but my sister will keep him occupied. I got him a big hero 6 figure, paint, a new play doh set and I plan on getting him a new board game. He will help bake a birthday cake on DDay. I will also let him pick out a gift for his sister.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the ideas! My son is 3 1/2, and I think these ideas are great. I am feeling a bit emotional when I think about the fact that he will be a big brother...I hope we've done enough to prepare him for this! :-/
  • Options
    WDDCHWDDCH member
    edited August 2015
    Went to Target and saw some cute stuff in the Dollar Spot.

Got each of my boys a book, a Thomas the Train coloring book, a pencil pouch (one dinosaurs, one Spider-Man), dry erase markers and a Thomas the Train dry erase board. The only thing that wasn't a dollar was the pack of dry erase markers so spent just a few bucks on them but tried finding things they could use/do in order to stay busy and occupied.

Also got them fruit snacks and other little snacks as a treat.

My daughters were with me and they each chose something for $3 or less. They're older so they didn't care if they got it before or after baby was born. They get the snack stuff with their brothers after her birth though!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My hospital will deliver a big brother/sister basket to the room - the cost is $$ though and for that amount I can get her all kinds of presents! So I have been putting together a sort of entertainment bag/gift bag. The gift bag is the start of a tradition where the birthday girl will give her sister something on her own birthday. DH and I thought this might help keep any jealousy away as their birthday's are going to be a month apart and it is hard to disguise it as a 1/2 birthday present or whatever. DD1 loves making cards and giving presents so she accepted this explanation of why the baby will not open her gifts or blow out her candles quite happily. (Sister blowing out candles is most frequent worry during the "I have a question" portion of her bedtime routine.)

I got her some Shopkins - you will learn about these soon if you don't know what they are yet. And a place-the-sticker book. Thanks to you ladies I am totally stealing the shirt idea and may trade out the gift bag for a backpack. :-) Thank you!
  • Options
    We got DD1 a bike when her sister was born. This time we're getting the girls a Barbie camper set to share.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For my DDs 2nd bday this month I got her a Bitty Baby with a bottle and burp cloth. The new baby will "give" her more baby doll accessories, the stroller, high chair, and pack and play (it was a one box set). She also has a shirt from Etsy, "Keep Calm, I'm the Big Sister!"

Also, this is silly, but she is obsessed with milkshakes right now (thanks to a pregnant mommy), so when she comes to the hospital we will get her a milkshake from the snackbar to associate that with meeting the baby.

I've also read that when she comes to visit, she will see Mommy first (baby in the nursery) and get some Mommy time before baby comes in to meet her.
  • Options
    That's a good idea! My hospital suggested we have a photo of the sibling in the room, and that we arrange things to all go home together. First impressions count!
  • Options
    I bought DD a doll and accessories for Hopefully she can take care of her baby when I take care of the new baby. And a sticker book for at the hospital just in case.
  • Options
    We did the same as PP. We got our daughter a new doll with a stroller and a playpen. That ways she could play with the doll and follow what mommy does as I look after her baby sister. We will giver her the doll at the hospital and the rest at the house when baby comes  home.
  • Options
    I just asked my little boy what would you like your baby sister to buy you when she gets here he said a scooby doo teddy lol so that is what he shall get :)
  • Options
    M is going to buy the birthday cake and balloon with DH when she comes to meet the baby. She's obsessed with birthdays and dinosaur train, I'm making her a Tiny Doll (stick dinosaur) and a jr conductor hat as gifts. I was going to finish her quilt (that I've been working on forever), but my stepmom just gave her a gorgeous homemade quilt a couple weeks ago that goes decently with the room, so I decided to go for a fun gift instead :) I'm also eyeing a new toddler Lenny lamb carrier for tandem wearing, and I may splurge for a doll ergo for M.