TTC after 35

intro (child mentioned) and questions

Hi everyone!

I spent time on the bump when trying to conceive and became pregnant with my son, and was fortunate to find a birth month page that was amazing and supportive and wonderful. I have heard the same things said time and again as I've lurked around this page so I am hopeful that it'll be another terrific, informative and congenial experience this time around!

I am 37 (so is my husband) and we have just begun trying to conceive another child -- my son is two and a half years old and is the love of my life (he says he wants a sister... that's the specific, current request ;)). I temped and charted prior to becoming pregnant with my son, so have started to do the same now. Everything was going normally (in the third cycle trying)... until last night when my period began at cycle day 21 (6DPO). I am usually a very "regular" girl, so this was a surprise.

I guess perhaps I don't really have a specific question, so much as I am just wondering if anyone else has had one wacky cycle just show up out of nowhere. I had a temperature spike at CD16 that remained up until yesterday morning when it dropped (but not all the way to cover)... then I started bleeding that evening. We had sex on at least -2, -1, +1 and +2 (and a few more days before and after), only missing O because he was not feeling well. I had an implantation dip on the chart from the month my son was conceived, so when I initially saw that drop in temp at 6DPO I thought it might be the same thing again, but apparently not... I guess I'm just worried that all this time I've been thinking I knew what was happening with my body and am now doubting that I understood my information at all. Not lost on me how funny it is to be worried about a week early period... all throughout my younger years it would have been concern about a week late period, right? :) And then, of course, I can't help but notice the handful of stories from women who had some type of heavy bleeding and thought it was their period and it turned out to be something else and they were pregnant... unlikely as that is, I am human and I hope...

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all as we support each other!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: intro (child mentioned) and questions

• Welcome @jely26!

My cycles are usually regular too, and if anything is ever off its very confusing. Especially since some women do have AF after conception. A friend of mine did (she wasn't TTC and it was a surprise).

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Welcome to the boards! It does sound kind of suspicious to start AF so early on, especially when you're actively TTC and you have regular cycles. Hmmm...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Just wanted to say hi and welcome!

I can't really help with your questions as I have PCOS and every cycle is irregular.

Good luck to you!
      • TTC #1 since August 2014
      • currently on 5th medicated IUI cycle
  • Hi! Welcome to the board.  I have only had super short cycles that were anovulatory, but I did have one 58 day cycle when TTC my daughter out of the blue.  I think wacky cycles can happen.  I'd say, if you have another 6 day LP, you should see your doctor.  Once may just be a fluke!  Good luck!  :)
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Welcome to the board! I have irregular cycles and don't always ovulate, but when I do it's always 12-14 days until AF shows up. But just this past cycle I started spotting at 6dpo and then AF showed up in full force at 8dpo, making my cycle only 18 days long! It was so random and has never happened before. I know I'm not pregnant because my temp dropped and has been down for the past few days. So the only advice I can offer is that if your temp drops and stays down, then you're most likely not pregnant. But if your temp continues to stay up, then you could be one of those rare cases where you have heavy bleeding even though you're pregnant. I have no explanation for why your cycle would do something so random (since I'm just as confused about my own wacky cycle) but maybe it's the stress of TTC? I agree with @emsmama15 about having future short luteal phases, which could be an indication of something more serious being out of balance. But if this is just a one time thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Good luck!!!
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Welcome! This is a great place to find support.
  • Welcome @jely26!  

I wouldn't worry about one wacky cycle. Good that you are temping and tracking so you will know if it was a one time thing or not. I am pretty regular, but every so once in a while i will have on off cycle. Usually due to stress or particular strenuous physical activity (for me it usually means i ovulate late and have a longer cycle). 
    Me (42) w/ partner for 16+ years
    TTC #1: 11/2012 - 9/2013; 6/2014 - present
    Follistim + TI (3x): All BFNs
    Follistim + IUI (1x): BFN 
    IVF #1: 17 retrieved,15 fertilized, Day 3: 15, Day 5/6: 3 biopsied
    Result; 1 frozen blast (inconclusive PGS results)
    IVF #2; ER: 6/22 16 retrieved, 6/25: 5 transferred (CP), 2 frozen
    FET 9/17: BFN
    Current FET -- Transferred 2 day-3 embryos - BFN

• Welcome!!
    You and I are the same :-)
    I am also 37, TTC #2 and my daughter is 2.5. 
  • Many, many years ago before I went on the pill, I used to have an extra long cycle (7 or 8 weeks) at this time of year. I've been pretty regular since I started TTC in January, but your post reminded me of that. One random, wacky cycle every year in August/September.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Welcome!  I will have a crazy cycle every once in awhile.  It's important to chart for a few months to get to know your body now.  I always, always go back on when we were TTC DD and know the exact day she could've been conceived.  So funny how we do that!
    Anyway, my body is waaaaay different now and PCOS is much worse. 

Good luck! and Happy charting!
    **child mentioned**
    Me(38)PCOS/Hypothyroid   DH(43)Low T/ED
    MMC at 10 weeks 03/2011 DD born 01/2012   TTC #2 since 04/2014
    BFP 8/26/2016

• Welcome and good luck to you this upcoming cycle. This is a very comforting place to be