April 2015 Moms

Bumpers

is there ever a safe age to use crib bumpers?? My little guy is 4 months 1week old & he wakes up about 4 times at night screaming because he whacked his head on the bars.

Re: Bumpers

• The AAP doesn't recommend it at all. Personally to me, I would rather my kid whack his head on the bars than risk it.

https://www.parenting.com/article/sids-prevention
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just posted about this on the 3-6 month board. We used bumpers for the first few months and then took them off when she started to move around move. Our daughter is a wiggler and shifts all over her crib but can now roll and has awesome head and neck control. We recently put the bumpers back on for the same reason you mentioned. She'd wake up wailing bc she banged her head. I know their is controversy surrounding bumpers but for us they're working. Also, I'm not trying to debate or be lectured. Just stating what we do. I think it's a personal choice and you have to go with your gut.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry that posted before I was finished . In all the reading I have done it is not safe .
  • What about the mesh bumpers? Those seem a lot safer than the full cloth ones. 
  • @crsanchez87 the mesh would be good at preventing limbs from getting caught. But sadly our issue is the head wacking & don't think those would help with that. We're looking into wonder bumpers. Thanks @kjones115 think you're right to go with your gut & know what your kid can handle
  • We are using mesh bumpers because our poor son would roll and he would use the rails as support for his foot but they would slip and his leg would get caught. It's a new crib so it has all the safety standards. I was tired of him crying bloody murder because he had his leg stuck so we made the decision 2 weeks ago to use mesh bumpers. He's been fine. It was a personal choice, one not made easily because of all I read. But the risk of him dislocating his hip was more of a concern. His head and neck control is very strong and although we put him on his back to sleep he always rolls on his stomach. I panicked at first but that's what he does every night.
  • I used bumpers for all three of my kids. Personal choice
  • The mesh ones actually give some cushioning. I was surprised, we just got them.
  • We put the mesh ones on about a month ago bc her arms were getting stuck. Have had no issues and helps a little with any head bashing that goes on too.
  • I have the mesh bumpers on my crib. My LO kept getting his arms and legs through the bars. Stopped having issues as soon as the bumpers were in place. He breathes through the fabric when he squishes his face against the bars.