Trying to Get Pregnant

A hello and s question :)

Hi all,

I've been stalking for awhile and decided it was time to say hi! I really appreciate the helpful humor on this board, it's helped with frustration for sure!

A little backstory and a question or two :)

I've been off the pill since November with pretty irregular cycles. I say pretty, but we're talking 25 days - 3 months. Anyway, my doc decided to test and apparently I have low progesterone. Started supplementing that, and she's now happy with the levels.

Now, she's having me use OPKs to check for that. Question for you guys - how accurate are the Wondfos/how often do you test with them?

Also, in the last month I read TCOYF and started temping. I know the progesterone supplement will skew that, but I guess I'm still a bit confused as to how to tell an O if you're not producing enough progesterone naturally. If I missed it in the book, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Re: A hello and s question :)

• With Temping and the progesterone you should still see a shift. Your base temperature may be higher than it would be otherwise but the overall pattern should be clear. I'm no expert, so continuing to work with your doctor is a good idea!

And welcome :)
  • Wondfos are accurate and I use them every cycle. I usually test 2 times per day or more to monitor my LH surge.
    imageimageimage
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start.

I agree with PP: wondfos are great. But make sure to search the board for wondfos, there are some counterfeit ones and bad batches out there so be careful you order from an approved vendor.

I start wondfos 4-5 days before I think I will ovulate based on last cycles, of when I first see fertile CM or a CP that is getting closer to HSO. I use then twice a day at first, but when the line starts getting darker (which it doesn't do for everyone but happens for me) I start testing more often to make sure I catch the surge.

Good luck and I hope your stay here is short!
    me 30; DH 35
    TTC since May 2014.
    Aug 2014 BFP, EDD April 22, 2015. Low progesterone, started suppositories. Loss at 5w6d.
    Nov 19, 2015 BFP at 13 dpo, EDD July 29, 2016. MMC discovered 12/29 (9+4). Natural miscarriage 1/16 (12+1).
    AMH results 0.42, 1.2; FSH 12.1, AFC 10, dx DOR. 
    RPL testing results normal. Nurse recommended progesterone suppositories in TWW.
    Clomid + trigger + TI cycle August 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Femara + trigger + TI cycle December 2016 - failed. Thin lining.
    Short LP (8 days).
    Acupuncture & Chinese herbs starting January 2017, lengthened LP to 10 days 

Summer 2016 LFAF awards: 

Winter 2016/2017 LFAF awards:

• Forgive me if I have no idea what I am talking about, but do you just take progesterone after O, or do you take it all cycle long?  I ask because I was prescribed progesterone when I was TTC #1, and I only started taking it once I had my temp shift to confirm O (that's what my doctor told me to do).  She wasn't an RE or even a OB, just a family practice doctor, so who knows if she knew what she was doing.

Anyway, I think your progesterone should rise some following O, you should still see a temp shift.
  • Hi all, I've been stalking for awhile and decided it was time to say hi! I really appreciate the helpful humor on this board, it's helped with frustration for sure! A little backstory and a question or two :) I've been off the pill since November with pretty irregular cycles. I say pretty, but we're talking 25 days - 3 months. Anyway, my doc decided to test and apparently I have low progesterone. Started supplementing that, and she's now happy with the levels. Now, she's having me use OPKs to check for that. Question for you guys - how accurate are the Wondfos/how often do you test with them? Also, in the last month I read TCOYF and started temping. I know the progesterone supplement will skew that, but I guess I'm still a bit confused as to how to tell an O if you're not producing enough progesterone naturally. If I missed it in the book, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

I use Wondfos and find it to be a really inexpensive way to test multiple times a day. Be warned though, that you may not get a true positive on any brand, some people do and some don't. It doesn't mean your surge isn't happening, it just means you missed it with testing. Like PPs said, if you test 2-3 times a day you should catch it. 

Welcome and good luck to you!
  • welcome!  I love wondfos.  I pee on them about 4x a day from CD10-20 since they're so cheap and I find it difficult to catch a +.  Granted, I'm not on progesterone.

Me (31) & DH (35) #DFDubClub
    TTC since August 2013 - Break: Jan-June 2014
    Everything looks good on me so far.  Going in for U/S in Oct just to be absolutely sure everything is good.
    SA for DH pending.
  • Hello! I don't use OPKs but I agree with what the PPs said. Good luck!  :-h

TTC + medicated cycles
    3/2015: Start TTC
    8/2015: PCOS Dx
    4/2016: BFP, Loss (4+5)
    2/2017: BFP

Honorable mentions: Biggest IF support sister, sweetest bumpie, most genuine, LFAFer you'd most like to visit, great things come in small packages, pocket sized babe
  • Welcome. I start using wondfos when I see fertile CM. even with using them 2-3 times a day I've never gotten a true positive. I have several days of plentiful fertile cm and temps clearly indicate O so I likely won't buy more wondfos when I run out.
  • I have loved the WONDFOs overall, but it's sometimes hard to distinguish between positive and negative when the test and control lines are so close in shade. I just keep HIO and temping to be better safe than sorry. Good luck!

• Hello. You should only be taking progesterone after you have confirmed ovulation. If you take progesterone before you confirm ovulation, it will stop you from ovulating. At what cycle day or days past ovulation did your OB test your progesterone? If it was not seven days past ovulation, as shown by your temperatures or vaginal ultrasound of your ovaries, then the test is useless and of course your progesterone would be low.

My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Thanks for the welcome and info!

To answer a few of the questions -
    Doc had me taking day 15-24 of fake cycle to get things restarted. Now that levels are "normal" using OPKs.

@TheBorg7of9 - I was wondering about that! I've also heard it won't be enough to prevent O, so I'm not sure what to believe. She tested a few times during the 3 month of no period stretch, low at all times. I think that's why she has me using the OPKs now, to confirm. It felt a bit backwards to me, tbh, but I didn't get read TCYOF until after starting progesterone, and so didn't know enough to ask. Now I'm afraid to stop taking and deal with readjusting hormones all over again :/
    I've started temping to confirm as well and will ask about using that if no results this time around.

May I add that this journey is proving rather frustrating? Also, I really wish TCOYF was required reading in high school...way more informative than any health class!
  • edited August 2015

...Also, I really wish TCOYF was required reading in high school...way more informative than any health class!

100X this! I wish I had known.

ETA: Welcome! And my GIF!
  • Thanks for the welcome and info!

To answer a few of the questions -
    Doc had me taking day 15-24 of fake cycle to get things restarted. Now that levels are "normal" using OPKs.

@TheBorg7of9 - I was wondering about that! I've also heard it won't be enough to prevent O, so I'm not sure what to believe. She tested a few times during the 3 month of no period stretch, low at all times. I think that's why she has me using the OPKs now, to confirm. It felt a bit backwards to me, tbh, but I didn't get read TCYOF until after starting progesterone, and so didn't know enough to ask. Now I'm afraid to stop taking and deal with readjusting hormones all over again :/
    I've started temping to confirm as well and will ask about using that if no results this time around.

May I add that this journey is proving rather frustrating? Also, I really wish TCOYF was required reading in high school...way more informative than any health class!

Well, testing your progesterone at random times makes no sense at all. Of course your progesterone was low. Long cycles are caused by late or absent ovulation. You hadn't ovulated, so your progesterone would be low.

Did you take provera for ten days to jump start your period? In tha case, you were not being treated for low progesterone, you were just jump starting your cycle. Which is normal. But taking it again 15 days later doesn't make sense unless ovulation were confirmed on day 14. Are you continuing to use it on cycle days 15-24? If you haven't ovulated before that, it would probably suppress ovulation.

Time for a new doctor??
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009