March 2015 Moms
Options

Cereal giving baby gas?

i just started my 23 week old on rice cereal. The past 2 night we ate a little (maybe a tablespoon) and then breastfed. Both times he has gotten painful, stinky gas. I am assuming this is just his digestive system getting used to something other than breastmilk but I am wondering if anyone is or has experienced this??

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    My little guy had a bad episode of spitting up with oat cereal. It was scary - we were giving it to him with formula in a bottle. He was on it maybe a week? But he spit up a lot and seemed to have a lot of digestive issues. We stopped the cereal and he stated on puréed food a few weeks later. He's been eating a few tablespoons twice a day and he's been doing beautifully.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We started cereal last week and he has had more gas and it has really changed his bowel movements. It seems like he now has a day where he won't go at all then a day where he goes multiple times. I'm hoping it balances out soon too. Good luck!
  • Options
    I did.
    I actually had to stop the cereal because my daughter was waking up multiple times at night with painful gas. I talked to a friend who told me she skipped the cereal and oatmeal and tried avocados and bananas for her baby's first foods. I decided to try it, and so far, so good. I mixed the avocados with breastmilk and she loved it. The bananas are sweet so babies naturally seem to like them which could be a problem if they like them so much that they reject other foods. I've also tried carrots (store bought) and she loved them and hasn't had gas issues yet. This has all been in the past couple of weeks so I'll keep you posted if anything changes. Good luck!
    I thought I was imagining the gas/ Cereal connection until I saw other posts about the same issue!
  • Options
    Our paediatrician told us point blank to skip any form of cereal or rice and go straight for fruit and veggies. So far her favourite is squash, sweet potato and carrot mashed together with breastmilk. Babies apparently don't need the empty carbs from the cereal.
  • Options
    I am making sweet potato now to try !!