Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Flying Tips

Long story short - easier to fly with an infant seat or convertible seat?

I'm flying with my one year-old by myself next week and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about it. She has a seat on the plane and we will take her car seat to use. I had planned on strapping her infant seat and our carry-on backpack to our lightweight stroller, wearing her through the airport, and gate checking the stroller. We have a GoGo Babyz roller cart I got from a friend so my other option is checking the stroller with our luggage, wearing her, and pulling the car seat/carry on through with the GoGo cart. I'm thinking the GoGo cart will be easier to maneuver then the loaded down stroller. Has anyone used the GoGo cart with an infant seat (can it be done) or should I go ahead and use our Graco Contender? I'll probably just need to experiment, but any been there done that thoughts appreciated!
Married November 2009
Clara, August 2014 
Baby Boy due October 2017

Re: Flying Tips

• Options
    From my experience, my baby does awesome in a infant car seat. It's something about it that makes him fall asleep quicker. My opinion is that if you have a infant bucket seat, that might be your best bet. Your stroller can be checked at the jet way so you can just bring the baby in the bucket seat. I honestly don't think you want to check in your big car seat as they might not take caution when handling your seat.unless you don't mind getting some travel scars.
  • Options
    +1 for using the infant seat if she will fit in it comfortable.  We have the chicco convertible carseat and I know some of the reviews specifically mentioned that on a plane the seat in front of it would not recline when it was used which I think would make for potentially stressful flight if the person sitting in front of her is not thrilled.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would recommend the infant seat as well!  We've only ever traveled with our convertible seat (Chicco Nextfit) and it's a behemoth.  Much heavier and a major pain to lug around.  Plus, it puts her feet against the seat in front of us, so if that person reclines, she can kick them.  Good times!  I'd definitely do the infant seat/stroller combo if that's an option.  While I've never done it, I have to assume it would be much easier.
  • Options
    I took the infant seat and it was a breeze. I can definitely see how a concert able seat will be more challenging next time...
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017