Baby Names

Opinions on the name Camden

just found out we are having a baby girl. :) super excited! We really liked the name Harper- but we have 4 girls at church with that name, all under the age of 3. So, my husband really likes the name Camden. I know it's more traditionally a boy name but could it also work for a girl?

We like Camden rose or
Camden grace.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Re: Opinions on the name Camden

• Loading the player...
  • I definitely thought boy when I saw the name.  
  • Wasn't a fan when I assumed it was a boy, definitely bad for a girl.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What about Camille?

• Honestly? It's an ugly boy name and a shitty city. 

Suggest

Camille
    Camilla
    Carmen
    Eden
    Arwen
    Bronwen
    Colleen
    Karen
  • edited August 2015
    AWFUL! This is totally one of my pet peeve names. It would be the same as naming your child Harlem, Detroit, or Compton. Don't do it!!!!!! This 'name' is also masculine, and there are so many other gorgeous C names for girls.

Claire
    Camellia
    Caroline
    Cora
    Cecelia
    Carys
    Cassandra
    Camille
    Catherine
    Cara
    Charlotte
    Chloe
    Calla
    Cassidy
    Clara

LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• I like the Camille suggestion.

Camden is bad enough on a boy, but it's truly horrid on a girl. (Sorry, I know how hard it is to find something you both like.)
  • Dislike.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • It's nms and when I first glanced at it I thought it was a boys name. It is one of those names that is unisex. If you look on baby sites, Camden does show up for a girl. Just other suggestions: Cambria, Camryn or Carmen?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Have you been to Camden? It's just outside of London. It's rough. And smelly. Lots of sex shops and drug paraphernalia stores. Great market though!
  • ecwkecwk member
    It's awful. For all the reasons listen above. Don't do it.

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • No no no. Hate this name for a boy. Even worse for a girl
  • Nms for a boy and just really bad for a girl.

Perhaps you like names more unisex or with a more masculine feel? What about:
    Jordan
    Avery
    Adrianne (my preferred spelling for a girl)
    Erin
    Michaela
    Quinn
    Shay
    Blair
    Taylor
    Morgan

All completely nms (except for Blair), some pretty trendy, but none that I would side eye.

Like the suggestion of Carmen other posters have said, sounds similar but is just much better.
  • I apologize in advance if this hurts your feelings (I'm a touchy-feely type, so I feel like I have to preface my "honest" posts with this :) ) but you asked for opinions. Personally, I hate the current trend of "unisex" names. I think boy names are boy names, and girl names are girl names. There's really no in between for me as it causes confusion and either overly feminizes or masculinizes the child to be opposite of their gender. Camden is a boy's name, it should be reserved for a boy. I think it's a very "cutesy" name for a boy, but would be awful to give a girl a masculine name that she may not appreciate as she grows up. I tend to think towards the future as well and how it may be received by teachers, peers and employers...people would assume she is a boy when they see the name on paper until they meet her. I also don't think there's a cute nickname for a girl for this name either. I love the c names @eliztheforrizz suggested instead...they're beautiful options. However, if you and DH truly love this name, your opinions and happiness are what matters most. Don't base your opinion on the name off of an internet forum full of strangers, but I understand wanting to get some feedback. Best wishes :)  
  • ghetto........literally! (NJ)
  • It reminds me of 7th Heaven...
  • Like some of the other names that PP suggested... a couple more that aren't already on those lists: Cadence, Candice

Definite no to Camden, especially for a girl. 

httpi62tinypiccomuarkwpng

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadb7817660919c960ebd43e30c9c837741jpg
  • I live across the river from Camden, NJ, and no one here would name their kid after that city...

• Camden has been rated the #1 crime filled city many many times
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I like Camille.
  • I actually don't mind Camden for a boy. Don't think it works for a girl, though. 
  • Ooh, I'm guessing by the number of replies that you've gotten a lot of strong negative opinions on Camden.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree, I really dislike this name for a girl.  Here are my reasons:

--it's a last name/place name, which has become very trendy in recent years.
    --it's very masculine
    --where I live the word "Camden" almost always means Camden Yards, the baseball stadium.  It would be like naming a child Wrigley or Fenway.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • No, just no. Bad for a boy and absolutely horrendous for a girl. If you're into masculine names on girls (not my taste but it's not my kid) you can do much better than Camden.

• Isn't one of Kristin Cavalleri's kids named Camden? It would remind me of her, especially like those girls in HS that would do anything she did, including using the same baby names. Other than that, it's overdone. There will probably be four in your kid's class and workplace when she's older.
  • Linsbins said:
    Isn't one of Kristin Cavalleri's kids named Camden? It would remind me of her, especially like those girls in HS that would do anything she did, including using the same baby names. Other than that, it's overdone. There will probably be four in your kid's class and workplace when she's older.

She has 2 boys and she named one of them Camden.
    Pregnancy Ticker