March 2015 Moms
Options

Scared to wean

my LO is closing in on 6months and has been breast fed and supplemented with formula since about 10 weeks old. She's now getting about the same amount of formula as breast milk and she is also getting baby food 3x a day. Im starting to consider weaning her because I stress myself out that I'm not producing enough breast milk and that she's getting so much formula. So why not just cut the stress and just go with formula? I feel like I'm ready to wean, but im so afraid to lose this bond with her! Do any moms have weaning advice or have gone through this? I don't want to make the wrong decision!

Re: Scared to wean

• Options
    It's a personal decision, but I think any amount of breast milk is really beneficial to your baby for at least the first year. I would continue to let baby breastfeed and then supplement with formula as long as you're both happy and baby is gaining weight well. You'll be able to tell if she's hungry for supplemental formula. If you do choose to wean, do so slowly One feeding at a time for her and your comfort.
  • Options
    I am slowly backing off and using my stored milk supply plus formula to supplement. I did not want to wean before I started solids, but a week or two after starting solids, I cut back to nursing three times with one bottle (7 oz mixed formula/milk). Aside from the symptoms (rare, but possible... Basically feeling pregnant), it was a smooth transition. I still nurse in the morning and before bed, plus usually the afternoon. However, while my job has so far allowed me to come hom in between during my down times, my husband is starting teaching again so I won't be able to come home to our LO, so she will be getting two bottles on those days. But I'll be pumping. Like PP said, the benefits of breastmilk are the main reason that I wanted to continue nursing as much as possible. I feel more relieved now because the feedings I replaced were the ones that were the most difficult. And I still have that bond and will try to keep it up in the morning and evening. My only suggestion is do it gradually! I think doing it so quickly is what caused morning sickness/fatigue/headaches for me. Good luck! Hope you can come to a good decision that you'll be satisfied with!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Unfortunately I didn't have luck breast feeding. I tried. But it didn't work. I thought I would miss or lack the connection also. Fortunately I honestly don't feel like there is anything missing in our relationship. I feel like things are easier for me that he's formula fed. It sounds like you've made up your mind, and you've done great by your baby. I don't see the point in letting something else stress you out. As someone who started then had to stop - try not to let the opinions of others influence you too much. You do what you feel is best for you and your baby and everything will be fine :).
  • Options
    The bond concerns have been addressed so I will comment on the comfort. Weaning cold turkey hurts like hell! Make sure you do It very gradually! I think you mentioned nursing 3 times a day. Make sure you slowly work your way to once a day so that you can slowly diminish your supply and you won't stress out baby.