2nd Trimester

Anyone else felt scared of losing baby?

I have two boys and I am pregnant with our third an I am 15 weeks. I have been told by three ultrasound techs that I am having a girl already but to confirm at 16 weeks that it is a girl. I started looking at girl clothes (just looking because I know it's still early) and it seems surreal like I'm going to have another baby and might be a girl that I'm terrified something bad is going to happen. Might be my hormones but I keep getting this feeling like I'm going to lose the baby. Has anyone else had this odd fear or is it just my hormones?

Re: Anyone else felt scared of losing baby?

• I think every one of us has at some time or another feared that we were going to lose the baby. It's totally normal, but be reassured by the fact that miscarriage is extremely uncommon, but of course not impossible, after the first trimester. Try not to worry yourself crazy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly I feel like everyone goes through moments like that when pregnant. I'm also pregnant with my 3rd, and I've been more paranoid about this pregnancy, than either one of my others. I even got a Doppler to help ease my mind (definitely helps a lot). I think being on sites like this where you see some women dealing with loss doesn't help either. I think that's where most of my paranoia has come from. There's been some ladies who had missed miscarriages and that scares the crap out of me. You're definitely not alone!
  • I agree with PP. Don't read the threads about loss...and stay away from Dr. Google! Lol :) 
  • satuttle1014satuttle1014 member
    edited August 2015
    This is my first but there are times when I'm like is everything alright in there? I guess I just have to believe that if the doctors say everything is good then it is. It's the long breaks of not hearing a heartbeat or seeing an ultrasound for me. Also like others have said, the more you read the more nerve racking it is. I'm sure everything is fine!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I deal with this a lot. I suffer from anxiety regularly and being pregnant doesn't help. I also have one boy already and a girl on the way, and that's such a great scenario that I'm more scared than ever to lose it. I tend to worry that I'm going to eat or do the wrong thing and it will cause the pregnancy to end...but logically I know that the chances of that are reeeaaally slim. Just take deep breaths and remember that the odds are in your favor...
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I don't think it's odd, but just focus on the positive.
  • This is me! I have to stay away from loss threads and googling everything. It freaks me out
  • I'm 25w3d and it still scares me. I think it's a combination of being high risk with a condition that can lead to IUGR and stillbirth, my pre-existing off the charts anxiety, and just wanting this baby much and being closer than I've been before to holding a LO in my arm (previous loss).
    I just try to remember to take it day my day, take care of myself, and realize that the fear of something going wrong is real but the chances are slim. Also, I've been able to hear my little girl's HB by Doppler at home since 10w and that has likely prevented a great number of panic attacks!
  • I am pregnant with my 4th and I never worried with my previous 3 about losing them. This time I have. I know it's because I am older now and more aware of all the things that could go wrong. It's really part of being a mother. You worry, from the minute you see those 2 lines up until your death bed, about your kids.
  • This is my first and I worry about this constantly. I think it's because I want it so bad that I'm scared that I'll lose him. I'm 24 weeks, 4 days so I try to believe I have the best odds possible. Positive thoughts to everyone
  • This is my first one and I feel the same way and I am only 17 weeks today. I think mine is because my husband and I tried so hard for so long to get pregnant and now I am I just don't want to do anything to harm the baby in the process. The hardest part for me though is going the 4 weeks and not hearing the heartbeat or seeing any ultrasounds to make sure that the baby is alright in there. I try not to think about it to much though and just stay positive!
  • Aw yeah all the time. You're not alone. Every week I look at the numbers. What is the likelihood of x happening this week. It may not be a good idea for everybody but i find it very reassuring. For example, I am 23 weeks this week. At the end of this week, my daughter has a 50% chance of surviving if she is born that day. 

I think I worry now less than I did before my body showed any signs of her. Now that i can see myself growing and feel her kicking, I feel much safer than before. 
  • Can you order dopplers online or anyone know were I can get one? I think that would help a lot.
  • I got mine from amazon..38 bux..it has really helped me alot to stay calm between appts..
  • @bride22me  If you google "fetal doppler" there are quite a few results that come up.  My first two pregnancies ended in miscarriage, so I used my fetal doppler daily from 13 through 16 weeks, and it was a lifesaver. I don't think I could have handled the anxiety otherwise.  I was lucky enough to borrow one from an actual OB via a friend, so mine is a $700 doppler - I'm not sure if the cheap ones online work as well, but it's definitely worth a try. Once I started feeling the baby's movements, I stopped using it. But it's great for that period of time after the 1st trimester symptoms go away but before you can feel the baby move. 
  • This is my 1st pregnancy and even though i have no medical issues and live a healthy life, you never know if you will have complications until you experience pregnancy.

Thank god i have no problems. Dad says its from his Belgian genes
  • Honestly I feel like everyone goes through moments like that when pregnant. I'm also pregnant with my 3rd, and I've been more paranoid about this pregnancy, than either one of my others. I even got a Doppler to help ease my mind (definitely helps a lot). I think being on sites like this where you see some women dealing with loss doesn't help either. I think that's where most of my paranoia has come from. There's been some ladies who had missed miscarriages and that scares the crap out of me. You're definitely not alone!

This is my third as well and I feel more paranoid than with either of the others.

I'm not sure why except that I am older now and feel like if something happened we wouldn't try again. Plus both of my boys are old enough to understand and they are so excited about it.

Im considering getting a Doppler too just to ease my mind and also to let my kids hear the baby at home.
  • Everyone feels like that at some point during the pregnancy. And then you have the baby and constantly worry about SIDS for a year. I must check to make sure my baby is breathing 10 times a day. :-)
  • How many weeks do u have to be to hear baby on a dobbler
  • This is me too!!! The 4 weeks in between appointments is killer. I'm 16w5d and I just don't feel pregnant in the last couple days so I'm definitely panicking. My belly isn't hard anymore, no movement yet, my acne is clearing up, breast don't feel hard, and I'm not gaining any weight or growing. Sigh... the 1st trimester stuff was actually so comforting!
  • I thought I was the only one who thought like that. I miscarried with my first child 15years ago so I know the feeing. I now have a 13yr old son and expecting my daughter in Jan. I think it's a natural thought for all pregnant women.
  • With all my kids I didn't start packing on pounds until 18 weeks, but once I did I gained 7 pounds between 18-21. It all catches up and soon you will be wishing it slowed down lol