Blended Families
Options

Advice on telling 10 year old

My boyfriend and I are 15 weeks pregnant. We have been together for 5 years but not married. How do I explain this pregnancy to his 10 year old daughter?

Re: Advice on telling 10 year old

• Options
    My boyfriend and I have his 12 year old daughter who lives with us full time, and I am 18 weeks pregnant. We found out very early on, but chose to wait until around 13 weeks to tell her. Somebody suggested for him to tell her on his own, so that way she could really express how she felt and not worry about my feelings. He say her down and basically told her "I love you very much and nothing can ever change that. I have some news that I am very excited to tell you" and before he could even tell her I was pregnant, she guessed. We were SO worried she would react badly and be upset because of her age, and her father and I not being married yet, but she is actually extremely excited to be getting a little brother/sister. The biggest advice I can give is to make sure the child is included as much and possible and knows that nothing can change either of your love for her. Good luck!!
  • Options
    I'm in the same position. He had an 11 year old and I have a 4 and 7 year old. All girls. I want to tell them together so we are a family. I didn't want him to tell her alone cause that makes a divide in the family. We a refers worried she will be resentful n be upset. I know my daughters will be super excited n happy n we were hoping her seeing that would help her and make her feel included.
    What do you think
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jess-I think you need to tell everyone at the same time since you've got a very blended family.
  • Options
    Tell her she's gonna be a big sister! Woop