April 2015 Moms
Options

Rolling Over/Sleep Concern/SIDS

My 4 month old loves the swaddle but is able to get his hands out. He also has begun rolling over onto his tummy. He can lift his head up and then back down. How are you mommies dealing with the roll over during sleep? I am concerned about SIDS esp since he doesnt know how to move his head onto the side yet. He sleep in our room and I am afraid to transition him into his room and crib. Thank you!!!

Re: Rolling Over/Sleep Concern/SIDS

• Options
    Mine don't quite roll over yet but it sounds like you need to get him out of the swaddle asap to reduce the SIDS risk. We went straight from the swaddle to a Halo sleep sack and didn't have any issues. I've heard the Merlins Magic sleep suit is great if the startle reflex continues to wake them up in the standard sleep sack. Other than keeping absolutely nothing else in the crib and having the baby monitor on, there isn't much you can do while they are sleeping (unless you are concerned enough to do frequent checks and turn him back over when he rolls). I would really work hard on tummy time & exercises to strengthen his neck muscles, too. We plug away at that every day around here. Good luck mama!
  • Options
    My son rolls in his sleep. He has great head and neck control and the doctor told us not to worry about flipping him back over as long as we have nothing in his crib. Do not use a cloth bumper either. We want him to stay in our room in the pack and play for another month or so. But we do use the crib for naps during the day.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank u so much!
  • Options
    We got a breathing sensor just so I could sleep at night. It really took away from the anxiety.
  • Options
    I'm with you, so scared to move him into his crib, im totally dragging my feet :( ours is 4 months and has good head and neck, but no rolling yet, and sleeps in s rock n play by the bed. We stopped swaddling about a month ago because he hated having his arms restrained and would wake up trying to move them. He still has the startles though which wakes him up (damned if you do, damned if you don't!). I feel like I'll be up all night staring at the monitor when the time comes!!! Good luck to you!
  • Options
    My son will roll onto his side when he sleeps as well. My aunt actually suggested transitioning him from his bassinet in our room to his crib by putting the bassinet in the crib. We have a little travel one that we used in the trailer that he's been in over night for the past month. It's worked great and has the added bonus of him not being able to roll over in it. During the day he naps in the crib without it. Now that he's rolling front to back and back to front more easily I'm planning on having him on his own overnight within the next few days since I know he can manouver himself on his own if needed now. I know I won't sleep well the first few nights worrying but he can't sleep in the bassinet forever!
  • Options
    When ours started rolling, we had to stop swaddling (for a while we did a modified swaddle that didn't include his arms, just hugged his chest). At our four month appointment, I asked about him sleeping on his tummy and Ped said that because he was rolling, he's fine. And now that he's been rolling for over a month, he wiggles, inches and rolls all over his crib and I couldn't control what position he lays in, anyways.