2nd Trimester
Options

Is baby ok if you accidentally fall asleep on your back?

Answers

• Options
    How far along are you? They say to avoid sleeping on your back because the weight of your baby and uterus can put pressure on a major vein, causing a drop in blood pressure and extra strain on your heart, which is already working overtime during pregnancy. However, I highly doubt occasionally falling asleep on your back, or waking up on your back (which is what I often do at the moment - I'm 20 weeks) will harm you, providing you are in good cardiovascular health. I would recommend a maternity pillow, at least 1.5 metres in length. They help you remain on your side and are very comfy. Some even claim to move your baby into a better position for labour with regular use. Have a happy pregnancy and try not to worry :) At least you're getting some sleep! Leg cramps are ruining mine right now
  • Options

You're fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry - only just realised you specifically asked about baby! I'm sure baby will be fine. In fact, when I'm lying on my back in a sort of semi-upright position, that's when I feel baby's movements the most.
  • Options
    Agreed with pp, I feel most movements when on my back. I don't sleep on my back, though. I think the warning to not sleep on your back is more an issue into your third tri when baby and everything else gets heavier.
  • Options
    Thanks I am 25 weeks 1st pregnancy so everything makes me paranoid
  • Options
    I'm a back sleeper and my dr says that's fine. Not a huge worry.
  • Options
    My mother is a midwife (not mine) and I've asked her this question. She said that if the baby was putting pressure on the vena cava, you'd wake up automatically feeling pretty crappy and move on your own. Or you would just roll over in your sleep before it became a serious issue. Ideally you want to sleep on your side, but it's ok to fall asleep however you can. 
  • Options
    Thanks all for the feedback I feel so much better!!!
  • Options
    I'm CONSTANTLY trying to flip myself from my back to sides. Usually I'm not on my back for too long and am not worried and don't think you should be either. You can only do the best you can! If you're trying to constantly correct yourself to your side, you should be ok :) Unconscious flipping while sleeping can't be helped! 
  • Options
    I never worried if I woke up on my back. Once I got into the third trimester, it was almost impossible to sleep on my back. I don't think I rolled on my back at all in my sleep.
  • Options
    of course! you can sleep on your back, no problem