Babies on the Brain
Options

Putting off TTC for new job

So my husband and I celebrated our one year anniversary in May. We had initially decided to start TTC this fall, but in June I got a call for my dream job as a medical social worker for a VA hospital with great pay and great benefits. However, I was a little bummed out that we now have to put off TTC because I have to complete a one year probationary period during which time I can be let go if I am deemed physically or emotionally unfit for permanent federal employment. I am so excited about my new job, but I am also so ready to be a mom. I am trying to think of the other positives as the wait does give us more time to get more money saved up and get finances in order. I would love some ideas on how to make the wait easier. I am also focusing on exercising and making healthier food choices. I am little concerned on how I am going to manage my chronic headache condition during pregnancy, as medicines that work for me, can't be taken during pregnancy. If anyone has any tips of how to manage headaches that would be great. Otherwise, I am in terrific health. Hopefully the year will fly by!

Re: Putting off TTC for new job

• Options
    bmo88bmo88 member
    edited August 2015
    Hello!

Do you have any trips or travel plans you could look forward to? Or any fun upcoming events?

I honestly don't have a lot of great advice as I am in a very similar position. DH and I just celebrated our 2 year marriage anniversary last week (12 years together total) and we wanted to start TTC this Fall. However, I just started a new position as an Executive Director of an organization in July and we didn't think the timing was right. The stress and work hours have been insane so far and not conducive to getting my footing while pregnant. So we have pushed it back to January 2017. It feels sooooo far away, but it's only a year and half away (that's what I keep telling myself).

I have tried to pick up new hobbies. So I started a blog, I am trying to find time to exercise (better on some days than others), and I am looking to read more books this year. We are also going to Europe in December, so it kind of keeps me distracted to plan the trip.

The wait can be really hard, but having time to intentionally get finances in order, save money and "prepare" yourself mentally and physically will be worth it. Just remember, one year is a small amount of time across your life time. So while it feels sucky now to wait, your efforts to prepare will help you so much more in the long run while spending your life time raising a child.

Best of luck OP distracting yourself!
  • Options
    Thanks! We don't really have any trips planned at the moment, but we both have discussed taking a nice two year anniversary trip since we will both be working. We are also currently in the process of house hunting so I am trying to let that be my focus and focus on decorating our new home whenever we decide on the neighborhood we want.  I think the wait will get easier once I start my new job because I will be doing something I love and enjoy each day. Right now I am kinda bored each day just waiting on my start date of August 24th :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats on the new job! While i dont have a new job we really need to get our finances in better order so we have to wait. Im antsy bc im 30 but i didnt think i wanted kids until i hit 30 so ive never thought id need to save for one- so we werent as responsible as we should of been
  • Options
    I always get cut off...im apparently too dumb to comment haha. I try to work out/read/play with my pup to keep my mind off it or if im feelin sad about having to wait. I also suffer from migraines and i wonder how anyone can take care of a baby with one! I cant move or i vomit when i have a really bad one :-S i hope everything works out for you!
  • Options
    Congrats on the new job!  I know how you feel... I've had baby fever for awhile now, but I'm only a month into my new job, and I need to wait a few more months so I will be eligible for FMLA.  I also need to get supervision hours for licensure, and I know I'm not able to wait that long lol, but I want to rack up as many as I can before I have a baby.  As tough as it is, I know that waiting until I have a solid career before getting pregnant was a good choice.

I know someone who had frequent migraines while pregnant and it was definitely a struggle for her.  My only advice would be to try to figure out your triggers and prevent them.  I know that if I am dehydrated, tired, or hungry I am more likely to get a headache.

Also, we recently got a puppy, and he is definitely helping to distract from the baby fever, so getting a pet might be a good option for you!
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!