Breastfeeding

Upper Lip Tie

Anyone have any experience with babies with an upper lip tie? We went & saw a lactation consultant today & she said that my LO's lip tie will probably make it difficult for us to successfully BF because she cannot latch properly & is not getting enough milk (my nipples are pretty beat up right now, too). We have an appt with a pediatric dentist tomorrow to discuss having it removed by laser.

Re: Upper Lip Tie

• marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited August 2015
    Had this plus a tongue tie. Released both in one sitting (also with a cauterizing laser).  It was quick and he got over it in about two minutes. Nursing was a bit easier right away and a lot easier by 2-3 weeks later.

The upper lip tie is easier to deal with than the tongue tie. Good luck!
  • Had this plus a tongue tie. Released both in one sitting (also with a cauterizing laser).  It was quick and he got over it in about two minutes. Nursing was a bit easier right away and a lot easier by 2-3 weeks later.

The upper lip tie is easier to deal with than the tongue tie. Good luck!
    Thanks for the info! My LO ended up having a tongue tie, too. We had the procedure done Wednesday & she's recovering great! I was so upset leading up to it but I know I'll be happy we did it. Her latch is definitely different now but I know we will still have some obstacles to overcome with nursing. Fun learning experiences ☺️
  • Loading the player...
  • Had a similar question. Hoping her latch is better after the laser procedure. Anyone else have success stories?
  • My LO had an upper lip tie and a posterior tongue tie. Both were released by laser last Tuesday. He tolerated it very well and his latch significantly improved by the next day.
  • Late to this thread but my son also had the upper lip tie and posterior tongue tie... We saw the pediatric dentist when he was 18 days old. The procedure was so quick and I fed him immediately afterward.. There was such a difference right away my son was coughing because he was finally getting so much milk and wasn't use to it. Now 5 weeks later I'm so happy I stuck with it and got it done because we are doing great!
  • Did you all pump to keep up milk supply while going through these issues? That's my biggest concern that we are dealing with right now.
  • @cje63017 I did as much as the little guy would let me. I was terrified of losiymy supply because he wasn't transferring enough. Be has both a lip and tongue tie but we only got the tongue clipped. It made a difference right away. We no longer supplement and feedings don't hurt nearly as much. We're still working on perfecting his latch since he didn't get it clipped until 11 weeks. We have some relearning to do.