TTC After a Loss
Options

Progesterone opinions?

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I was wondering what you're opinion was on taking progesterone. I've had 2 miscarriages and my new OB/GYN wants to put me on progesterone as soon as I get a bfp. Has anyone had a positive or negative experience with it? I've read a lot of studies and some say it helps and some say it doesn't I'm just feeling a little confused and frazzled as I try to get a baby that sticks!

Re: Progesterone opinions?

• Options
    I had two miscarriages as well and my doctor gave me progesterone suppositories for after my next bfp. I've read a lot and it seems like it's better to take it three days after you ovulate and stop if you don't get a bfp by 14 dpo. Most of what I read said by the time you get a bfp its too late for your progesterone to be corrected. But ask your doctor if you want to do that. I have been using the progesterone for the first time this cycle which is the first cycle since my miscarriage. It's a little messy but other than that I feel 100% normal. I am 10 dpo (cycle day 37) so only time will tell if it works. My periods were down to a 1/2 day before this, so even if I get af this month at least I can see if this is helping.
  • Options
    From what I understand, some people do truly have a prog deficiency. Those people would need to take it. For others who have MCs, it is a "can't hurt" approach. You can have two different docs look at exactly the same situation and come up with different answers, which happened in my last MC.

There are three different forms of P: a gel/cream, Crinone (which dries into weird bits that then come out of you like sand), the insert (which is messy) and the progesterone in oil shot. Obviously the shot is a step up, but I have vag issues and it is the only way I can go, after having such bad reactions to the other stuff. GL>u
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I recently had a 2nd loss and right after I got my BFP this second time my Dr put me on progesterone (pills 100mg) as a prevention. He did mention its use is still a bit controversial but that it wouldn't hurt. That was obviously not the problem as I had another mc. I saw an RE and my Dr again and they both said that next time I get a BFP (fingers crossed) they would put me on the cream with applicator even though it can be a bit irritating but that is what they are recommending...
    The pills I took didn't really bother me, they do make you really sleepy so make sure to take them at night if that is the version they prescribe to you, good luck!!

Me: 38 DH: 42.
    Married: 9/2008.
    4/2010 - BFP (Natural)
    12/2010 - DS born.
    8/2014-TTC#2 
    10/2014 BFP
    10/2014 Confirmed MC at 5 weeks
    5/2015 BFP
    8/2015 MMC & D&C at 13 weeks  :'(
    11/2015 BFP then CP at 6 weeks.
    3/2016 Started IVF+PGS
    4/2016 ER, only 5 eggs but 3 Frozen embryos made it to freeze. Only 1 PGS normal embryo.
    DOR
    Hypothyroidism
    MTHFR
    DH Sperm with Chromosomal Issues (high % FISH)
    AMH .65
    8/2016 FET #1 BFN
    9/2016 IVF-ER #2  1 normal embryo.
    11/2016 IVF-ER #3  0 Embryos
    2/2017 FET #2 BFP CP at 6 weeks.
    5/2017  BFP Natural. 3 Betas were ok. First US 5-31-2017. Hope it sticks and is healthy!!

• Options
    Thank you everyone for your help! I have 5 days left until my expected period and I made an appointment next week with him so either way I'll be able to talk to him more and see if I need them sooner than when I get a bfp. I just got a new doctor so let's hope he's ready for my crazy and all of the new questions I have!
  • Options
    I would never take a drug unless it was for sure needed.... If they do your bloodwork and find your progesterone levels are low THEN it would be appropriate to start taking extra progesterone. Hormones are a delicate balance and you don't want to start tinkering unless you know it's needed.
  • Options
    @lovearoo that's one thing I'm actually terrified of. My old OB told me that he wanted me on progesterone right away and I passed that information on to my new OB. The bad thing about my old one is I felt like he didn't really tell me much. I'm not sure what all of my tests said but I'm assuming my progesterone was low... My new OB is really involved and blunt so I'm hoping that he will keep me involved more!
  • Options
    msuzannah said:

@lovearoo that's one thing I'm actually terrified of. My old OB told me that he wanted me on progesterone right away and I passed that information on to my new OB. The bad thing about my old one is I felt like he didn't really tell me much. I'm not sure what all of my tests said but I'm assuming my progesterone was low... My new OB is really involved and blunt so I'm hoping that he will keep me involved more!

That's why I love my ND so much. She has a fairly natural approach, but she's very involved when it comes to pregnancy and my blood work. She tests my hormones levels and other things thoroughly and only prescribes if she can see I'm deficient in something. She also tests for vitamin deficiencies which is a huge help! I was horribly vitamin d deficient which can effect a pregnancy, mood, energy, etc.