Working Moms

May Need to Get a New Job

So yesterday I told my boss I am pregnant. I brought up to him that once I have a baby, I want to work from home. He is the type of boss that hates when people work from home. I can easily do my job from home, he just thinks nobody will get things done even though I work better at home. So he is thinking about if he an option for me is working for home. 

I am looking at the possibility that he will say no to that and I will need to find another job. I have 2 options if I can't continue working at my company: I work up until I can't and take 2 months off living on just one salary or I somehow find a company that lets me work for 2 months then off for 2 months for maternity leave, doubtful. I live just outside of DC so it is expensive and it will be better to have 2 salaries for this area. 

I am browsing some jobs or options that I may have an apply. I was wondering if anybody had idea of work from home jobs, virtual, telecommute companies, ideas, advice? I have checked out indeed, career builder, etc. I just know I want to work from home. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: May Need to Get a New Job

• I'm in the DC area as well.  It's hard to give you suggestions without knowing what type of work you do or the skills you have.  I would google headhunters in the DC area.  I would imagine that non-profits are generally flexible with telework, but I am just guessing.

Me: 30   DH: 33

TTC #1 since June 2014

Baby #1 coming March 2016

My Chart

BabyFetus Ticker

• I may try looking at headhunters just to see. My boss has not given me is official answer yet but him to think about it tells me I should be prepared to start looking. Because I want to work from home is why I may have to switch, he just doesn't like when people work from home. I am labor planning analyst for a commercial plane ground handling company at Reagan National Airport. I work a lot on scheduling, organizing, staffing, labor, etc, with my team for all of our bases across the US and international. 

I have browsed some "telecommute" or "virtual" and everything is mostly call centers and such which I don't want to do. I hate constantly talking on the phone. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • How far is your current commute? What is your company's policy on WFH? What are your plans for childcare?
    Married July 2009, Rescue dog adopted September 2010, DS born June 2012
    Expecting LO2 in February 2016
    Ghost of MrsMuq
  • How far is your current commute? What is your company's policy on WFH? What are your plans for childcare?
    My current commute is 5 minutes but I want to work full time from home. I have talked to my boss about 2 times and his mind has not changed. He hates when anybody works from home even though I can do my job from home. He thinks nothing will get done which I understand but I work better at home. I have worked from home before if there is a delivery of something, snow day, sick, etc. 

I think working from home is really based on who your boss is. Lots of people travel in my company, I don't but there are tons that do and things get done. It's just the way my boss is, if I had some other people as my boss it would not be a problem.

I don't want to be working to pay for a nanny or daycare, I would rather be home. I even asked about coming in a few times a month on "busier" days but majority is still at home. So I'm browsing for other opportunities, that is what I will use my leave for. I may browse within my company if there are any positions that would allow me to work from home full time and again I can come in every now and then, I am less than 2 miles away. I just want to be at home. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • i work from home and dont have the best childcare lined up for my LO who is extremely needy and demanding. prior to baby, i was extremely efficient working remote and could get a weeks worth of work done in about a day. now, i struggle with day to day job duties. my mom is here to help 3 days a week but even then i am in my office and i can hear the baby crying and i will get up to see whats going on even though he is in good hands. dont fool yourself into thinking that WFH is as easy as it was pre-baby. if you have an easy baby it can be manageable but the temperament of your infant is unpredictable.

i am currently re-evaluating my career options and thinking about taking time off from work. it would mean that we would need to operate on one income but it is better than me getting a full time nanny to watch the baby while i work because all my paychecks would be signed over to the nanny, literally. i know its challenging but i think all of us have been there at one point or another ..
  • I work from home two days a week and commute to work the other three. I just want to throw out there that I would not recommend thinking that you can work from home and be working full time at the same time without child care. Babies might sleep a lot in the beginning, but their schedules can also be unpredictable and as they get old they are much higher maintenance. My DS goes to daycare the days I work from home. It is hard to balance your time between the two at the same time--I have done it some days when our daycare has been closed or DS was home sick. It is stressful and leaves me feeling like either a bad mom or a bad employee slacking off. 

If you are looking to work from home full time to not pay for child care, I don't think that is the right thing to do. Keep in mind that when you are home you are going to need to get work done too. It's not always about the quantity of time you spend with your child---but more of the quality of the time you spend with them. If I were you I would reevaluate maybe working part-time or highly consider having child care available on the days you are working from home. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • What is your HR policy? 
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    If you don't have childcare, I can't imagine you getting much done.