Formula Feeding
Options

Formula Feeding from the start- need some help

Hi Everyone--

I am due on 9/9 with DS2. My BF experience with he first was an absolute nightmare- 6 lactation consultants, 1 baby scale, 3 hospital grade pumps, driving 45 minutes each way for donor milk, exclusively pumping for 4 months, etc. I refuse to even try with #2 and will be FF from the start. I have a few questions if anyone can help me:

1. How much formula do I feed a newborn? I know they only have a few drops of colostrum for the first day or so but if I use formula, how much should I give him?
2. Does anyone have experience with drying up before you even BF? Any tips? 
3. Anything I should consider from mom's who have gone the same route?

Thanks so much

Re: Formula Feeding from the start- need some help

• Options
    If you are formula feeding from the start, the hospital will provide you with formula. I would use whatever brand they use. The typically come in the 2 ounce bottles. I am sure they will give you some for a least a few days. When you get home, I would do the same, feed on demand and give two ounces. 
  • Options

If you are formula feeding from the start, the hospital will provide you with formula. I would use whatever brand they use. The typically come in the 2 ounce bottles. I am sure they will give you some for a least a few days. When you get home, I would do the same, feed on demand and give two ounces. 

I agree 100%.
    I FF only with my second one. Best choice I could have made. It will take a HUGE load off your shoulders!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Start with an ounce of formula and work up to 2 ounces. At the beginning my LO took an ounce and by day 2-3 she was at 2 ounces. Most hospitals will start you with enfamil a+, so just a warning that it is one of the most expensive formulas available. So work out your budget cause your LO grows you will end up needing a container a week. Ultimately all formulas have to meet the same standards, and the difference between them are minimal. Ie. One is slightly .higher in iron or carbs and so on.

So if you don't want to pay out for the expensive one I suggest bringing your choice to the hospital with you) although don't stock up to much on one kind as you may find that you LO can't tolerate it and need to try a different brand.

We use the kirkland (Costco) formula without any issues. It is 1.5x the size of entail a+ but the same price .

As for drying up. Your milk is gonna come in regardless. So stock up on some frozen cabbage compresses, and I combined it with tight bras. The doctor can also give you pills to help you dry up faster. My biggest tip is not give in and express milk when you are engorged and they are painful as it stimulate milk production.
  • Options
    Thanks tdart14.  I am going to ask about the formula the hospital uses at my appointment this week.

I do not plan on expressing any milk and drying up the first time as I did the second time, just let my body absorb it. I was rock hard for a few days and then woke up one morning and my breasts were back to normal.  Was it like this for you?
  • Options
    I FF my first from day one and never really had any issues with my breasts, never leaked or felt painful or engorged. I wore tight sports bras everyday which I was told would help, but no issues. Makes me wonder if maybe I would have had low production anyway? In any event, I plan on FF this baby from day one as well