Parenting after 35

Weekly Check-in August 9

How was your week?

QOTW: What's been your favorite summer read? Or what's an old favorite you wish you had time to read?
Me-37, DH-38
Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

Re: Weekly Check-in August 9

• How was your week?
    Ugh. Our old dog got sick, with bloody diarrhea all over a white carpet. So we got to clean that up. And rent a carpet shampooer and all kinds of other fun carpet-cleaning stuff. We were also dog-sitting for friends. You know that houseguest you like who just out-stays their welcome? We started the week loving the dog's little quirks. But we were tired of them by the end. And my mom got surgery this week and I spent time helping her out as well. DH and I usually spend the weekends doing yardwork, cleaning house, and doing laundry. Instead, we went to bed at 8pm on Friday and have basically vegged all weekend.

QOTW: What's been your favorite summer read? Or what's an old favorite you wish you had time to read?
    I'm currently re-reading the Game of Thrones series. I read on my pump breaks.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• @mattandlora ... sorry to hear about your poocher.  And I can totally relate to the dog sitting thing.  (We dog sat my sister's two dogs when she went back east when DD was two weeks old.  It was not fun.)  Hope your mom is doing okay after her surgery.

My week was okay.  Didn't get much done.  Chloe had her one month wellness check.  Doc referred us to physical therapy for torticollis. :(  She DOES tilt her head to one side all the time AND her head is a little flat on that one side, so I guess it makes sense.  We'll need to go to the children's hospital for that since they are the only ones that treat infants this early. She also has had diarrhea again so I am not sure what to do about that.  Doc said we could get some probiotics for her if it doesn't clear up in a few days.  I really think she just needs some time since we switched back to the milk-based formula from the soy formula.  Guess we'll see.

Probiotics?  PT?  Ugh.  Seems like a lot for someone so little.

QOTW: What's been your favorite summer read? Or what's an old favorite you wish you had time to read?  I haven't read anything this summer, not even a magazine, lol.  My past favorites are usually true stories, historical accounts or biographies so I guess I would pick one of those from my library to reread.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DH came back for a few days and we had a mini beach trip, which was really fun. Then just as we were getting readjusted, he's gone again. It's kinda rough - I get a little routine going with LO, so when DH gets back I get a little bossy, which in turn makes him defensive.

LO had a couple freakouts on our trip, which hasn't happened since we returned,so it's hard to determine if there was really something wrong/uncomfortable, or if he was just reacting to the changes in his routine.I actually had a dream the LO started talking and could tell me what he needed - I felt such a profound sense of relief! (in my dream...I'm in no rush for him to start talking in real life)

I've enjoyed a couple book by Liane Moriarty - good combination of sentiment and humor.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• My h has been gone for five days and af started the day after he left. So I feel tired and hormonal and I just want to curl up in a little ball. I'm glad he comes back Friday night because it's starting to really get me down. I think I'm extra moody because it's so hot and I feel trapped inside all of the time cleaning up the same mess over and over again.

I used to read a lot but I haven't picked up a book in ages. I like many different genres. A Stephen King book sounds pretty good to me right about now. One of my favorites is Skeleton Crew.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Sorry you are having a tough few days, @Guennie.  I know it is always tough for me when my fiance is away.  
  • Sorry you are having a tough few days, @Guennie.  I know it is always tough for me when my fiance is away.  

Thank you. I hope you have a good experience with the physical therapy, and I'm sorry you have more diarrhea issues. Switching formulas can definitely mess with them so I hope she will balance out for you. Keep us posted. Hugs.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • @mattandlora - so sorry to hear about your dog (and your carpet...)

@Guennie - I hope you're feeling better soon!

We went for the little guy's two month check-up yesterday.  He was super-fussy and crying the almost the whole time.  Just when I got him calmed down, they had to give him his shots!  Poor little guy cried so hard that no sound came out.  No fun.  Then when we got home, we discovered that the cable box wasn't working, so I spent over an hour on the phone with tech support, who was not able to fix it with troubleshooting.  As a result, today I spent all morning waiting in line at the cable company to replace our cable box.  Thank goodness LO didn't start screaming - I was so nervous!

As for books, I'm not much of a reader.  The last book I read was "Devil In the White City," (probably eight years ago!) by Erik Larson.  I am now attempting to read "In the Garden of Beasts" by the same author.  They are fascinating historical narratives that I highly recommend.  
  • @ewenner- I LOVED Devil in the white city.  My husband just told me they are making it into a movie.  

@Guennie- sorry you are having a rough time :(  

I read The Accidental Empress at the beginning of the summer and it was AWESOME.  

Going to read Go set a Watchman next,  I am conflicted about it because To Kill a Mocking Bird is my all time favorite book.  So much so that my son's middle name is Atticus.  All the commotion  over the new book makes me not want to read it :(  But I will

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers