3rd Trimester

Birthing ball

So I'm determined to have a drug free labor and just got a birthing ball to use. Has anyone else ever used one or is planning on using one? It's really helping with pelvic tilts and core strengthening because of the better range of motion. Just wondering if it has helped anyone during labor and delivery.

Re: Birthing ball

• My midwife says it helps a lot during labor. It can help ease pain and a lot of women find it comfortable to sit on while laboring. I plan on using one during labor and will probably get one here soon just to help with pelvic discomfort. I used one while pregnant with my first and it helped relieve a lot of pain and discomfort in my hips and back.
  • There are some really good YouTube videos on how to use it to find more comfortable positions while in labor; way more than I would have thought of! Right now it helps with getting a punchy baby to calm down, so I'm hoping it will still work to get her sleep after she's born :) any position that gets you off your back and widens your pelvis is helpful, so praying I can do this naturally!
  • Loading the player...
  • Me too 4 some reason epidurals creep me out
  • I used one with my first pregnancy and it helped me so much to deal with pain.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used one with my first pregnancy as well and it was the only thing I could sit on with comfort. I had SO much pressure in my crotch and tailbone that straddling the birthing ball and leaning forward against the side of the bed with a pillow was the most comfortable position for me. Light bouncing on it while breathing through contractions also helped me in the earlier stages of labour.

• I was looking into getting one too!! I had no clue where to start so I'm thankful for this post!!!

• we forgot to take to it the hospital... but it was great for calming down our baby girl :) we used to hold her and gently bounce on the ball 
  • The hospital I will deliver at has a ball in each birthing room, so you may want to ask on your tour. One less giant thing to lug to the hospital with you.