Baby Showers

Prizes for everyone?

Hello fellow bumpies! I have a question about prizes. My mom is planning my shower with input from my grandmother and aunts. I am the oldest by a long shot so this is the first baby shower anyone in our family has done in 25 years, outside of my mom's cousin's daughter. I am having a co-ed shower bc in put family the women end up telling the men to come later and eat leftovers anyway, plus I really am not into traditional girlie stuff like showers.

My grandmother and mom are going back and forth about door prizes. Apparently my family thinks everyone should leave with a door prize. This seems a little ridiculous to me, especially considering it's co-ed. I talked my mom into doing it by couple, with singles getting their own prize, but it still seems like a lot. We really aren't doing any shower games, just a few optional activities that people can do throughout, along with the typical bbq lawn games and such.

What are your opinions on door prizes? Does everyone need one? We are doing favors but it seems like a lot for a more casual shower.

Re: Prizes for everyone?

• Just let your mom do what she wants!
  • VORVOR member
    wait, favors AND door prizes??  What's the difference?  Two things to take home is overkill, honestly.  Most favors get thrown out anyhow.  Why spend more $$ on stuff that people may toss?
  • Loading the player...
  • This can go either way. She doesn't have to do favors OR door prizes.  They're a bonus. The guests are primarily adults, I'm guessing.  No one is going to have a tantrum if they leave without a prize.  On the other hand, no one is going to walk out with a door prize and a favor and think, "Geez, what a drag."

If she has a cute idea for door prizes, go for it.  If making sure everyone leaves with a prize is becoming a hassle, she shouldn't bother.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • It's more my grandmother and other family members pushing that everyone needs a door prize. My mom feels like she would rather put the money towards stuff for her grandbaby so she's trying to do smaller door prizes. I didn't know if thus was standard practice as I have only been to 1 baby shower and they did this
  • star8627 said:

It's more my grandmother and other family members pushing that everyone needs a door prize. My mom feels like she would rather put the money towards stuff for her grandbaby so she's trying to do smaller door prizes. I didn't know if thus was standard practice as I have only been to 1 baby shower and they did this

It's not standard practice. I think just having the party favors are fine. But it's not really a "door prize" if everyone is getting one.
  • Just do the favors and a couple door prizes.
  • Mom wins.  If everyone gets a door prize, it becomes another favor.  Just tell your mom you think she's right, that a favor is already enough, and let her deal with grandma and other family members.  
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • My best friend is organising my baby shower and has made candles for the favours :) shes included a cute quote that says something like

"A little candle for you to light,
    Once the stork has made its flight.
    The flame will glow to celebrate,
    Baby _______'s arrival date. "

Simple, cheap, and (most) people utilise candles at some point in their life