April 2015 Moms

4 month old crying through the night

Hi moms- my 4 month old is having a horrible night:( she has been crying off and on after dozing off and waking up a few times since 7:20 pm and it is now 3:15 am. I tried rocking, bouncing, letting her cry it out, and finally some oragel because I thought it might be her teeth. I finally called the on call dr and he gave me the ok to give her Motrin or Tylenol. Has anyone else had a similar situation? It's terrible:( I also work full time and my husband is on nights right now so it's just me here. I'm pretty defeated and exhausted.

Re: 4 month old crying through the night

• My son is having his second horrible night in a row. He normally sleeps 8 hrs straight at night, but tonight he has ate twice in 6 hrs! He is also crying a lot. It is sad but I also just feel frustrated. My husband is also in the night shift :(
  • It's so hard isn't it? I guess even if we don't know what's wrong it's comforting to know there's others in the same boat. We can do it!
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO just turned 3 months and we weren't planning on letting her cry it out until 4 months- but we decided she was ready. She has already been weaned from her swaddle and can roll over. The past few nights I have been up over 10 times trying to soothe her back to sleep- and when it worked she would only sleep 40 minutes. This wasn't good for me and my husband and certainly not our LO. Last night we let her cry it out and it didn't go as bad as I was anticipating. We put her down at 7. She woke up at 730 and started crying. We let her cry until 735 and gave her her pacifier. It fell out she cried again and at 740 we have her the pacifier again and she was out ill her feeding. We never let her get hysterical but we feel she is ready to teach herself how to sleep. Every time she woke up through out the night she calmed herself down and went to sleep without crying at all. I'm very curious to see how tonight goes! Hang in there!
  • @ballinbaby15 how did you wean from the swaddle? My son has been rolling to his stomach while swaddled which I know is not safe. But he will not sleep without both arms in the swaddle. I have tried leaving one arm out, half an arm out, tried the swaddle me blanket. He just won't do it.
  • We did the one arm at a time- I started with keeping her strong arm swaddled. We did one arm for 3 days- naps and night time. Then we let the other arm out at bedtime- when she is the sleepiest. The first night we had to swaddle her crazy arm back in after we fed her because she wouldn't calm down. But the second night she did a lot better. When both arms are out, when swaddled her midsection and that helped calm her. It got to the point she was fighting it more than sleeping, she always got that arm out so we had to wean her. She has slept a lot better since.
  • I used let my daughter cry it out but she can't seem to calm herself down now:( she flips to her stomach and can't calm down...
  • I've read that babies may not be ready for CIO up until 6 months. If it's not working, try again in a few weeks. Get sleep vs no sleep!!
  • We have been using baby merlins Magic sleep suit and our LO has slept just as well in that as she did swaddled. I didn't think anything would work since whenever she wasn't swaddled she would keep waking herself up with her reflexes. We use this for every nap and nighttime sleep too and she absolutely loves it! Much safer solution to swaddling and she can still have the freedom to self soothe by sucking on her hands.
  • It sounds like your infant may be going through what is often called the four month sleep regression. Normal development.
  • My son is Going through The four month sleep regression. He used to sleep all night since he was 8 weeks now that he is four months he wake up once or twice at night crying like someone is killing him and doesn't stop until I feed him and put him down again. I don't know how to make him sleep all night again...
  • My excellent sleeper (all night through from 6 weeks) started waking multiple times per night around the 4 month mark- it was making me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong! She would only sleep in the rock n play in our room, instead of her crib... And she is quickly out growing that! Everything I read was telling me to keep baby's room dark... Turns out... She hates the dark! It dawned on me one day this week (a month into this poor Sleeping pattern)...I was comforting her after yet another wake up, and found her staring at one of our lamps. I turned on a small lamp in her room, laid her down, and BOOM! Slept the rest of the night. She has slept through the night every night since with the light on! Wish I thought of that a month ago!
  • My baby has hit that 4 month regression and its the worst! Because not only am I not getting any sleep but she isn't either :(
    Any tips?
    I've moved her bedtime earlier from 8 to 7 tonight and see how she will do.maybe she's overtired? Already she's woken up twice within 3 hours, that needed comforting/feeding.
    This has been going on for a 3 nights now and have gotten max of 2hrs of sleep straight. I start a my new job Monday and am FRAZZLED
  • Do you have a rock and play? My daughter has been sleeping better in that.
  • My son also started the 4 month sleep regression. He would wake up almost every hour from 1-7, cry until I gave him his pacifier or fed him. Not sure how long is normal for it to last, but it took him about 6-7 weeks to finally get a decent nights sleep. We also finally got the okay from his dr to sleep train and have begun CIO. First two nights he's slept from 730pm-6am, ate and back to sleep til 730-8am