September 2015 Moms

Vicks VapoRub... Help :(

Okay, mommies. Please don't judge me. I'm 33 weeks with a sweet little boy and have had a pretty good pregnancy. I got a cold about a month ago and didn't want to take any medicines so I used Vicks Vaporub on my chest with the approval of my doctor. My cold went away just fine in time. What I discovered was my huge LOVE for the smell of Vaporub.... I've used it before when I was younger and I knew it smelled good to me, but it was nothing like this. I continued to use it after I was sick, just opening the jar and smelling it every few hours. I got to a point where I would take long deep breaths of it in for minutes at a time. Then I started putting it inside & under my nose so I could sit and smell it. I know you're not supposed to do that :( ...but that smell wasn't good enough so now I've taken to putting a glob of it on a washrag, it smells really strong that way, so many times a day (any time I'm sitting/laying down) I am huffing it out of a rag. Is this as bad as I think it is for me or baby? I've read conflicting things about it online. I've been struggling with a little depression for the past few weeks and it just seems to make me feel better. I have an ultrasound Friday and my boyfriend (LO's daddy, I live with him) says that if I don't ask the doctor then he will. :( I feel bad. I feel psychologically addicted to it. I'm sad if I don't have it. Help :(

Re: Vicks VapoRub... Help :(

• I haven't looked this up online at all but how is it different than inhaling the scent from essential oils? I sniff and spray essential oils (lavender) mixed with with water on myself several times a day. I feel like it helps keep me calm and my BP normal in this heat. Maybe if the Vicks is bad you could swap it for an essential oil that would make you feel happy?
  • Loading the player...
  • I would double check with your Dr about the Vicks just in case there's something in it, and maybe you could find a substitution. I guess I don't see how this is any different from food cravings as long as you aren't eating the Vicks. I have been absolutely obsessed with the smell of water lately and I find myself going down to the basement and smelling my towels and swim suit every so often during the day.
  • Does vick's have peppermint in it? That is a mood booster, but it can turn baby. Try an essential oil. I use lavender a lot because it is safe for baby, but my favorites are bergamot and ylang ylang. I know you feel addicted to it, but it probably really is a mood booster that is helping you. Prayers are with you.
  • The scent comes from eucalyptus and camphor.  

I know aromatherapy, and eucalyptus is commonly used. I don't know any of the research on aromatherapy and pregnancy, or what is valid and what is bunk (and there are conflicting stories...my massage therapist won't use essential oils for prenantal massage, yet I was at a pregnancy expo a couple of days ago with a bunch of holistic health booths with people pimping essential oils in pregnancy). 

I would agree that the ritualistic behavior combined with depression is potentially more concerning than the exposure to the product, which is essentially petroleum jelly infused with eucalyptus oil and camphor. But, again, I don't know anything about chemical reactions, etc. 
  • We're not allowed to use Vicks whatsoever, google it and nothing will say that's okay
  • So glad you were brave enough to talk to your OB! You are doing what's best for baby, which is making sure mommy is in good shape, both physically and mentally!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You are awesome for reaching out for help. Hope all goes well with the doctor and that using eucalyptus turns out to be a safer alternative for you and baby for now.
  • I love essential oils. I make my own vapor rub with therapeutic grade eucalyptus and coconut oil.

Get a diffuser and some mood boosting oils. Perhaps they'll help with the depression.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you have a scentsy burner you can put some in there to warm :)
  • Thanks everyone! I called my OB today and she says it isn't harmful but wants to talk to me about the depression. I am ready to take a first step with that. I want to be happy and ready for baby Carter when he comes. I have an aunt who sells the essential oils, so maybe I could talk to her about finding me something that smells like eucalyptus. :) Thanks for being so honest, ladies.

Don't use the Eucalyptus until after baby is born. There is a book that would be helpful called gentle baby, if you want to try the oils.