High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

hyperemesis

Hey everyone!

I've been recently diagnosed with hyperemesis. I know something was going on deeper than morning sickness when I just couldn't keep anything down for days in a row. I was treated in the hospital and have been prescribed zofran.... pretty pricy but without it I don't know how I can manage everyday.

Who else has hyperemesis? What are your experiences with it during pregnancy? :-h

Re: hyperemesis

• Options
    Ugh HG...the worst.

I went on Zofran and it was honestly the only thing that worked for me. It saved my life! The severe nausea and vomiting seems to have disappeared by 20-ish weeks. I'm now 23 and very rarely get sick. In fact I haven't taken my Zofran in weeks.

I have friends that had HG throughout their entire pregnancies and others where it subsided by 2nd trimester.

Hang in there! Fingers crossed that the Zofran works for you! A small word of advice.. Make sure you're getting plenty of fiber as it tends to bind you up :-S
  • Options
    Best advice I can give is to take it one day at a time and be patient with yourself. Everyone's HG experience is different.
    I have severe HG. I had a PICC line placed at 10 weeks. Currently I'm 31weeks and still struggling with the n/v. PiCC still in. I have IV fluids and Zofran going 24/7. It's what keeps me out of the hospital.

Like I said one day at a time... You will make it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had HG my first pregnancy and it was AWFUL! I couldn't keep anything down the entire pregnancy. I hear for some it subsidies by the 3rd trimester. I didn't have good health insurance at the time and was never treated with meds. Hopefully they help you out through your hellish ordeal. ;) try and eat every few hours (small meals) & drink lots of juices/water. I noticed water would cause a barfathon so be careful.
  • Options
    I'm about 7 ½ weeks with my third and it's gotten worse with each one. I've already lost 8 lbs and I'm so scared because I know that it's going to get so much worse. It's extra hard this time because I moved out of state about 6 months ago. My friends back home knew me and understood my situation. It's not that people here aren't compassionate, but they obviously don't get what I'm going through because "oh, I had morning sickness too, have you tried _______” really isn't encouraging.
    BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 32 weeks and still vomiting daily. i had to have a PICC line for fluids and nutrition for 16 weeks and an NG tube for nutrition and fluid for 8 weeks. It's been rough, but you can do it. I'm so sorry you are going through that!

• Options
    I dealt with hg until around 21 weeks, five hospitalizations. If your doc will consider it a zofran pump can be very helpful. Good luck, I'm starting to get some of the vomiting back at 26 weeks and praying it goes away again. No fun!
  • Options
    HG started for me just before 6w and at 16w is still going strong. I started a zofran pump and home IV fluids at 10w. Zofran and diclegis together work best, if I forget the diclegis, I have a bad day. Even on a high dose of zofran I still will throw up a few times every day, but the last week or so has been better. I'm hoping by 20w we can stop the zofran as at that point they would look at a PICC line.
    Best wishes- some things work for different people, just depends on your body!

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Options
    Hopefully it goes away. This is my first pregnancy. Had hypermesis from month 1 to 5. As soon as I turned 22 weeks it went away to a mild case. I'm 26 weeks and still have to take diclegys every night if not the next day I'm heaving again. Try diclegys it is the one thing that worked for me. Also if you are doing Zofran orally make sure you are hydrated. When I was doing mine (sublingual one) if I was dehydrated it wouldn't work for me so I'd end up in the ER getting IVzofran (which rocks. That stuff is good). I've been seen by a high risk doctor about it it was so severe I lost 36lbs and though I took a ton of Zofran baby is perfectly healthy Thank Heavens. So don't be afraid and do what you have to do. If you have to vomit just do it honey and try to hydrate. I survived on watermelon juice literally sucking on slices which was the only fluid that would stay down. And be patient and be strong for baby. You can do this!
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Options
    I haven't been diagnosed but I'm 18 weeks and have lost 25 pounds so far. I have been ae to keep fluids down usually but I am miserable. I don't know how you ladies do it. I have major respect for all of you!
  • Options
    I have hg as well and I am 20 weeks. I have a picc line and have tried all the meds and I am continuing to have n/v. My doctor and I just had a discussion about a zofran pump. Anyone try this?
  • Options
    I would say it depends on if you're already getting IV zofran through your picc...typically this would be slightly better absorbed than the subq route of a pump.
  • Options
    The zofran pump will be ran through my picc line