Baby Names

Would this be a name faux pas?

So my husband has a cousin that just named their little girl Joey Ann, since their shared Grandma was called Joann. Well it turns out her real name was Josephine Ann not Joann like everybody called her.Of course his wife was mad that he didn't say that before they names their daughter cause she said that she would have used Josephine and had Joey as a nickname. My husband and I really like the name Isabel Josephine. Would us using that name be in bad taste? If they had actually used Josephine we wouldn't use it, but since Joey and Josephine are completely separate names and it would be a middle name not a first name.

Re: Would this be a name faux pas?

• Your cousin sounds like a douchebag.

You are fine to use Josephine, especially as it will be in the middle name spot.
  • Loading the player...
  • I feel really bad for the mother of that baby. I can see why she's mad that she missed out on a great name like Josephine. I love Joey as a NN but definitely not a as proper name. I don't think it's a faux pas, especially since you're using it as a MN and their kid isn't even Josephine anyway. FWIW, DS is Grant Irving. Irving was DH's grandfather. His cousin just had a baby and named him Cade Irving. I think it's great that both kids are honoring their great grandfather. It didn't bother us in the least.

• Thanks ladies for the reassurance. I didn't think it would be, but since that side of his family tends to be fairly close. I didn't want to cause too many waves. Of course my husband wouldn't mind doing a cannon ball to see how many waves he can make :) lol
  • I would use it...especially since you're using it as a middle. And if I were little Joey's mama we'd be down at the courthouse filing name change paperwork asap.

Josephine is also a front runner of ours! So pretty!
  • It's a family name. Go for it

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• eileenmcgooeileenmcgoo member
    edited August 2015
    You're fine! Especially since you'd use it as a middle name.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Use it!!
  • Do it!  It's not like her middle name will be used all that frequently, and it's not the same name, anyway..  My sister and I were talking baby names and I'm using our grandma's name for a middle (Patricia) if we have a girl.  I told her I would totally be fine with her using it, too, because sharing a middle name is not a big deal to me.  
  • Not a faux pas! Love the name Josephine!
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Thanks ladies for the reassurance. I didn't think it would be, but since that side of his family tends to be fairly close. I didn't want to cause too many waves. Of course my husband wouldn't mind doing a cannon ball to see how many waves he can make :) lol

I don't think it's an issue. But if you don't want to create any possible waves, you could talk to the cousin and explain you love the name and hope they don't have any issues with you honoring grandma as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think cousins are close enough in relation that it should matter. Especially when you're using it as a middle name. I say go for it.
  • I would use it
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic