Baby Names
Options

Does this name fall into the same category as other long "e" you-neek names?

Hello! So I'm relatively new to the bump and I've been lurking for a month or so now (mostly the baby name threads) and leaving a few comments here or there. DH and I are only in our second month TTC, but we've had a few baby names picked out for quite a while. 

Our top baby girl name is Hadley, and since I've been looking around on here I've noticed pretty much everyone agrees that the trendy names ending in a long "e" sound are just bad.
I've also started to consider more how the name will age with a possible future daughter. Is Hadley a solid choice? Is it in the same category as Brynlee and Tinley and "you-neek" names like that? I don't want my daughter to get side-eyed her whole life!

Help!!

Re: Does this name fall into the same category as other long "e" you-neek names?

• Options
    I think it is a trendy name, surname trend and -ey end trend. I think it is better than Brynlee or Tinley, but I am not a fan. If you like the -ey ending, maybe something more classic like Emily or Julie?
  • Options
    The -ey ending isn't anything special to me, it was just the first name that wasn't super popular that we both loved. I've thrown other names at him that I like (Georgia, Sloane, Vera, Lucille, Sage) but he turns them all down. I'll just have to keep searching! It's not like I'm crunched for time or anything lol. 

Thank you for the input!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MamaWren919MamaWren919 member
    edited August 2015
    I like Hadley. I don't consider it a Brynlee, Tinley kind of name. My only concern with Hadley is that it will blend in with the Hayley, Baylee, Kylie, Kinley, Tinleys. All of those names begin to sound alike and (at least as a teacher) become forgettable.
  • Options
    I have a Hadley, so I like it of course. I have to say, I didn't realize quite how trendy/rapidly rising it is when we picked it, but oh well.

A lot of people here don't like it, but I definitely think it is not as trendy as the others you mentioned.

• Options
    I think Hadley is very trendy/popular right now and falls in the class of "trendy" names, but I wouldn't put it in the group of the Brynnlee/Tinley and other fake-sounding made up names. I don't think it's a bad name, but it's too popular to be something I'd personally choose.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I really love Hadley, but I worry it'll be one of those names where people will always know about what age the person is. We ditched Harper for the same reason. That being said, look at all the Jennifer's/Ashley's/ etc. that aren't losing at life because they have a clearly eighties name.
  • Options
    Yes it is. I don't think it's as bad as Brinley and Tinley, etc but it's still kinda cutesy and surnamey.

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Options

Yes it is. I don't think it's as bad as Brinley and Tinley, etc but it's still kinda cutesy and surnamey.

This. It's definitely not as bad, but that isn't saying much

Image result for bobs burger gifs

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadeaa27518d817eb3a350c501028155427jpghttpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUpload6bbb16d010206d10646648f568faa060jpg

• Options
    I would definitely put it in the same catagory.

• Options
    Hadley was first recorded (for girls ) in 1964. It first passed 100 girls named per year in 94. Between 09 and 10 it nearly doubled in usage from 887 to 1,439. In 14 it was given to just under 3,000 girls, ranking at 99. It's super trendy.
  • Options
    The only Hadley I've ever met was a fifty year old dude with a rat tail. So for me, the association is very specific. I think the TV show Parenthood has made this name more popular. (There was a character named Haddie - I assume her full name was Hadley)

That being said, If I had to choose between Brinley, Kinsley and Hadley, I'd choose Hadley. Still, It's just NMS. BUT if you and your husband both like it and it's a name you agree on, go for it. If you're just starting TTC, I imagine you'll go through many incarnations of names you like before you settle on one though. Good luck!
  • Options
    I think it's very trendy. That being said, it is one of the more tolerable -ley names. I'd strongly encourage you to keep exploring names, but if you love it, it's fine. Just know that she will have a very specific time stamp on her forever with that name.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Trendy and too surname-y
  • Options
    It definitely falls in the category of trendy names, though not as bad as some. I would still side eye it though.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Options
    A coworker named her daughter Hadley and it was the first time I'd heard it, they call her Had most of the time.
  • Options
    I literally thought Hadley was the name of a bad band until I googled it. 

So, in my opinion, I think it's too close to Hedley. 

• Options
    Definitely not as you-neek as the other names you mentioned. I wouldn't side-eye it like I would the others. It reminds me of a nearby town though so I'm not a huge fan either. I would go for Hailey or Haley (pronounced differently) instead.

httpi62tinypiccomuarkwpng

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadb7817660919c960ebd43e30c9c837741jpg
  • Options
    holocene said:
    I literally thought Hadley was the name of a bad band until I googled it. 

So, in my opinion, I think it's too close to Hedley. 

• Options
    Thank you so much for your opinions! Hopefully if/when I do get pregnant, it's a boy, because girl names are a real struggle for us! I'm not sure I'll eliminate Hadley for good, but I'll definitely continue searching for other options. I might already have a few good ones if DH likes them too!

You ladies are awesome :)