Baby Names

Husband and I can't find common ground on baby name

lalenalalena member
edited August 2015 in Baby Names
I'm 29 weeks and 3 days, so to me, the countdown has started! Hubby and I are parents to a 3.5 year old girl and are expecting a boy in October.

Even with our first pregnancy, we could not settle on a boys name, so when we found out it was a girl, we were excited because we went with my Hubby's choice, though he denied it was his idea now.

So here we are now and I personally want a name that goes with DD's name: Zoe Elizabeth. Our last name is short, so I think DS's first name should have at least two syllables.

So here's my top choice:
Zander Michael (Michael is for my gpa who passed away this year) -- I love it, DD loves it, husband hates it... It's really annoying. I think it goes perfect with Zoe.

His top choice:
Ian Michael -- while I wouldn't normally be opposed, I don't like to copy names in the family, and my first cousin's son who is 1 is named Kian, and I think it's too close. Husband says we shouldn't care about other people in the family and disagrees.

So, 10 weeks after we found out, we are still arguing about it and it's really starting to irk me.

I've tried to come to a common ground and have come up with these 'meet in the middle names':
-Dylan Michael *second choice for me
-Gavin Michael

So has anyone else had this much trouble? I actually kinda feel that since we went with Hubby's first name choice the first time, I should get the name this time?

What do you think of the name choices?

Is my thinking regarding Ian being too close to Kian wrong? Would you feel offended had your cousin named their kid that closely to your own?

Help! Lol

Re: Husband and I can't find common ground on baby name

• I don't think you should to name this child because you two agreed on DHs pick last time. You need to agree on a name, if DH hates Zander then drop it (personally, I hate it too). I really like Ian and don't think your cousin's sons name should take it off the table, but if you don't like his pick then you two need to keep looking.

I think Ian is by far the best of the options you listed!
  • Loading the player...
  • Zander needs to be cut, sorry.

Ian depends on how close you are with your cousin. It would be super weird in my family because we see each other all the time, but if you guys are never around each other I guess it could be fine.

I like Dylan and Gavin.
  • Sorry, I agree with pp. Zoe and Zander are too much together. I like Dylan as well as Gavin. Love your DD's name!

• lalenalalena member
    edited August 2015
    Ian would cause probs in my family. My cousin's sister, my other cousin, named her baby Cohen and there was a huge to do about Cohen and Kian being similar. We honestly only see each other 1-3x a year, but that's the same even with him and his sister. There was another to do about cousins being named Evan and Kevin. It makes me hesitant. I have suggested the alternative Liam, but he doesn't like it. Says it remind him of Liam Neeson?

Benmel31-- our last name is Bell, so I nixed Alexander... Alexander Graham Bell anyone ? Lol my hubby liked the name Alex, but there's are already one on each side.

And I liked Brandon but he doesn't. Says 2 Bs didn't work. Honestly, having a short last name is hard to work with.

libby+nate-- thanks, I love DD's name too!
  • Dylan Michael is my favorite. Zander and Zoe are too matchy. I wouldn't do Ian if it's too close to your cousin's kid's name.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Based on the added info, how about Andrew, Ezra, Owen, Leo, Theo?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I like all your names. I wouldn't use Ian with a 1 year old cousin Kian. My cousin just had a Leah and I took Mia off my list. Zoe and Zander doesn't bother me, but your husband hates it, so it's out. What about Alexander Michael, nn Xander? 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Ezra first popped into my mind as an option for you. It has the Z you like and is a bit more traditional for your husband's taste.

Ezra Michael is nice.
  • Ezra first popped into my mind as an option for you. It has the Z you like and is a bit more traditional for your husband's taste.

Ezra Michael is nice.
  • I agree with the other PPs that I am not a fan of Zoe and Zander. Let me ask you, if your cousin didn't have a Kian, what would you think of Ian? Also, I really don't think those names are that similar, unless I am mispronouncing one. I assume Kian is rhymws with Ryan and I pronounce Ian with a Ian with a long "e" like "ee-an." If you like Ian, and you DH likes it, who cares what your family days? Of course if you just don't like it on its own, inspendent of famil names, tha another story.
  • lalenalalena member
    edited August 2015
    I suggested Ezra and Leo a couples days ago, and he didn't like it. Owen is out because my other cousin's baby is named Cohen (CO-en).

The Kian in our family is pronounced (Key-an), pretty much Ian but with a K. I wasn't opposed to the name itself but it didn't jump at me either. I did like that it was three letters like my DD name, but I was like it's nice, not thrilling, but nice.

I thought about Xander as nickname for Alexander, but our last name is Bell, so I think Alexander is out.

He came up with Austin today, which I'm 'meh' about. I said Cory or Cody and he wasn't opposed, so it's a start.

Believe me, I've suggested more than just Zander, but now he's stuck on Ian. I suggested and rebuffed with Wesley 'Wes', Wyatt, Jamieson (DH middle name is James), Liam, Morgan, Avery, Malachy, Griffin, Jaxson, Tyler.... All a no. I'm trying to come to middle ground.

I've dropped Zander. I have other things to worry about. I just hope we can figure something out.
  • My son is Ezekiel and he often goes by Zeke. Could be an option. I actually like Zander and Zoe, but I believe in veto power for partners. I also like Zion, Boaz and Josiah for that zuh sound.

You have time, keep at it! You could always wait to meet him to name him.
  • If you like Zander, is Xander an option?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Zander is not good, so I'm backing your husband on this. It's a NN, not a proper name. If anything use Xander but I really don't like that either. Plus, if one of you hates a name, it should be taken off the table. I think Ian is fantastic with Zoe. I wouldn't even think twice about the Kian thing. Is this a child he will be around a lot? Dylan and Gavin are both nice names as well. But I still prefer Ian.

• Dylan Michael and Ezra Michael I like.
    What about James or Elijah?
  • ZoeyRaeJamesZoeyRaeJames member
    edited August 2015
    I'm liking Ian, or Dylan! But that's just my personal opinion. If you REALLY want a Z name for your son, why not go with Zachary Michael? Zach/Zachary, is a pretty common name. But for some reason, I don't hear of that name being used very often, anymore.
  • If your husband hates Zander, then it needs to go. You both get veto power! Maybe it would help to make a list of top choices, then switch lists and cross off the ones you hate. Then talk about the remainders. 
  • Xander is out too. He really just doesn't like the name. He likes Alex, but I don't.

No to Zach as that's my sister's husband's name although it would be very cute with Zoe.

I'm still hesitant about Ian but he would only see his 2nd cousin Kian 1-2x a year. I used to be close with my cousin but we really don't see each other much anymore, only for family events like Christmas or grad parties, that's about it. I guess it would be more weird if it was one of my sister's kids. I wonder if I should mention it to him to have his reaction?

We do have a lot of repeating names in the family: like on my side, we have 4 variations of Chris (including my mom and brother) and my husband is banned that and he had a cousin Christian. I was hoping to avoid it if possible.

I do really, really like -Dylan, and have from the beginning. Dillon spelled that way is actually an Irish surname in my family (I do genealogy). Unfortunately, there aren't a lot family names that aren't used to death or are just awful lol

I have suggested the list thing to hubby , and maybe we'll eventually get to it. He's been so very busy with work though that I think he's finally remembering "oh yeah there's going to be a baby in 2.5 months."
  • Don't like Zander with Zoe. To me Zander is more of a nickname. Ian is the best name here but it is a little awkward with the cousin. No big deal though, in my family there are a couple repeat cousin names (family names)
  • I don't like two Z names. I do like Ian.
    Alexander (nn Zander)?
  • lalenalalena member
    edited August 2015
    Mb0112- that's the thing, I think it would be different if it was a family name, but it's just something hubby came up with. Same with Cohen and Kian with my cousin's kids. That's why I think it feels more awkward.

I forgot to mention that there are a LOT of cousins on both mine and Hubby's side. Ian overlaps slightly with my side (21 cousins on my Mom's side, 14 on my dad's side) but doesn't with his 30ish cousins (it's probably closer to 35). I think that's why he doesn't feel awkward about it, because it's my family that may have the issue.
  • I like Zander better than Ian. But if your husband vetoed it, then move on. I agree that Ian is too close to Kian. So that leaves Dylan and Gavin. I vote Dylan.

PS, you mentioned that your husband likes Austin. One of my twins is Austin! It's a family name for my husband. I disliked it at first but it grew on me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't like Zoe and Zander together. You should drop the "he got to pick the first time, so I get to pick this time" thing....as you obviously agreed to Zoe...so really you had a say in the pick anyway.  I don't think that Kian and Ian are too close, and honestly, how often do you see them? I think that Zane is kind of cool....but too matchy with Zoe. 

You said that YOU came up with "common ground" names.....did he have any say in those names?

I think that maybe its time to scratch them all, and start fresh....there is still time!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • lalenalalena member
    edited August 2015
    When I came up with common ground names, he's was kinda meh about most of them.

I think it's more on my mind regarding names because I know we have 10 weeks left and he's been so busy while I've been pregnant, he doesn't realize that there are 2.5 months left. I mean, there's still time but it's definitely something bothering me. Could be the hormones too :-)

Like the first time around, we had girls names picked and no boys names. Maybe I'll type in the girls names we liked on nymbler.com and see what comparable boys names pop up?
  • So I won't go into the same things everyone else has said, I will just make random suggestions that I think pair well with Zoe. I do like Gavin.

Zoe and...

Asher
    Anders
    Amos
    Blake
    Brock
    Barrett
    Caleb
    Calvin
    Chase
    Davis
    Dean