3rd Trimester
Options

Lost mucous plug twice? Labor questions

I lost my mucous plug a week ago yesterday and I woke up today and there was another mucous plug with brown tinge it to it this time. I am due in 2 days. I have been having a TON of gas (sorry TMI) and have been having some lower back pain. It's hard for me to say if the back pain is contraction pain or not because I have always had lower back issues. I have also been having "period" type cramps since last night. Any thoughts?

Re: Lost mucous plug twice? Labor questions

• Options
    I would try to time your back pains. Just to see if there is any pattern to it. Mucus plugs can come out in pieces, so you may just be seeing parts of it. I would call your Dr. to let them know it was tinged. My dr. told me not to worry about the mucus plug in general, because it doesn't mean, on its own, that you'll be labor soon. But she did want me to notify her if it had blood or brown coloring. Letting your dr. know is usually the best route in these situations. And youre so close to your due date... Good luck to you!

• Options
    I didn't lose my plug until I was 4 cm dilated and that thing was huge! Are you sure it's the entire plug? I've never heard of someone losing their plug when they arnt in active labor, but I'm sure it happens. It sounds like you are well on your way to meeting your little one. I would definitely call your provider and just make sure they don't want to do an exam.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can lose your plug several times as it can regenerate. As far as labor goes, losing your plug is not an indication of labor starting any time soon. I would watch for other symptoms as well as keep an eye on the pains you already have. And as always, contact your Ob with any concerns.
  • Options
    I lost mine all at once and I'm not in active labor (that I know of). I literally just got off the phone with my nurse and she informed me that if im not leaking fluid or contracting that I would be okay to keep my normal appointment for my next OB visit. Of course anything like fluid or contractions to come right in
  • Options
    I lost mine in one huge blob, with blood, 6 hours later my water broke and then my contractions started... You can lose it little by little, and it can regenerate or you can lose it all at once, you don't have to be in "active labor" to lose your plug, and losing it also doesn't mean your in labor, or will be in labor anytime soon.
  • Options
    My plug started coming away 48 hours before I went into labour. Everytime I went to the toilet and wiped there was lots of it. (Sorry tmi) low and behold little man did make an appearance not long after :)
  • Options

I lost part of mine on a Monday (actual due date) and then another huge piece the following night and then my water broke that Wednesday and had her Thursday!!

From what I've heard it "technically" is NOT an indication of labor but that it does kind of give you a heads up!! Good luck!!