July 2015 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding a tongue tied baby/supplementing question

so it's so funny how you have all these ideas before you become a parent about the type of parent you want to be. My husband and I were sooooo for breastfeeding and I still am. However, our little man who was born last Tuesday had a few hiccups. He was very tongue tied and was dropping a lot of weight the first week. We decided to supplement because he also has bad acid reflux and we needed him to eat. He gained almost a full pound in four days! Anyway- doctor said to try to breastfeed again only - but if we feel he still needs more then to supplement. Has anyone else had experience with this? How do you know you have given your baby enough?

Re: Breastfeeding a tongue tied baby/supplementing question

• Options
    I think if they aren't fussy and you have good wet/dirty diapers they are getting enough.
  • Options
    My baby was born July 22nd and she was tongue tied and upper lip tied. We had it fixed at 6 days old. She is still a very lazy eater. It takes her forever to nurse and when the lactation consultant did a weigh, feed, weigh, she only got less than an ounce in 25 mins of nursing, even after the procedure. She said it could take 6 days to learn how to nurse or it could take her 6 weeks. In the meantime, I am pumping away and supplementing with formula when needed. Not sure how long I will last. Hours of breastfeeding with her getting no milk is frustrating. I'll hang in for a little while longer but if she doesn't learn how to eat soon, I will go to pumping and formula only and give up breastfeeding.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Did you get the tongue tie clipped??? If so I would def try BFing again, I've heard it makes the experience so much easier after the tie is clipped.
  • Options
    My first daughter was badly tongue tied, we had it clipped and she nursed much better afterwards. Get it clipped. It is a quick procedure, and definitely worth it.
  • Options
    I pretty much had this same situation. Our baby was tongue tied.. We waited until day 4 to get it clipped to be sure it was necessary. I went through a few days/nights in the hospital struggling to BF. He lost a good amount of weight and we were supplementing with formula. Finally would try BF then pump then supplement if necessary. He started gaining again. After we got it clipped it took him a day and a half but then he started to latch and feed! Still figuring out when he's had enough but usually I just am watching to see he stopped swallowing- burp him/change him after and if he's still looking for more.