Breastfeeding

Pumping and supply- help!!

I'm pumping because baby won't nurse frequently. I was producing a lot (at least 4 oz each time) and it was plenty, as baby eats between 2-3 oz each feeding. Randomly yesterday, my supply dropped. I have no "extra" and I'm barely able to pump enough for baby to feed and I'm terrified! What can I do to boost supply?!! I'm bringing baby to breast very frequently but she just won't nurse.

Re: Pumping and supply- help!!

• How many months postpartum are you?  Around 4 months pp, the hormone, prolactin, starts to regulate and some people notice a dip, myself included,

How often are you pumping?  Try to squeeze in a few extra pumping sessions, as it's all about supply and demand.  

Drink tons of water
    Fenugreek helps a lot of women
    Motherlove More Milk Plus 
    Eat oatmeal
    Lactation cookies
    Add brewers yeast to baked goods or oatmeal.  This is one of the main ingredients in dark beer, which is why drinking beer is recommended to help supply.  However, beer may only cause a temporary boost, as the alcohol can dehydrate you.

Have you tried using a nipple shield?  Some have found this extremely helpful when their babies won't latch.  Also, what nipple size are you using for the bottles?  It should be the slowest flow nipple, as to mimic the flow of nursing.  If the size is too big, the baby may get used to a faster flow and will not want to work for the milk as they must do when nursing.
  • I'm only 3 weeks so it's scary that my supply had almost halted! I have tried the nipple shield, didn't work! I just bought some of the nipple shells to see if those help her latch better. I also bought the medela nipple that's supposed to mimic the breast (slow flow) so obviously she dislikes it! She was in nicu for a week and they only formula-fed her and I was unable to breastfeed due to her condition, so I'm concerned my issues are stemming from her being bottle-fed! I just sent my husband for the milk maid tea and oatmeal! I hope that helps some! I didn't know about the brewer's yeast, I will definitely try that!
  • Loading the player...
  • Check and fully clean your pump parts. Replace the little white membranes if using a medela or the valves if using an Ameda. I was told if you are EP you should replace them at least every month.

Remember to eat enough protein, drink water and take naps when you can.
  • @orangecurls I don't want to exclusively pump:( baby will only go to breast inconsistently though. But I do change and clean the pump parts frequently.