Working Moms

Killing it at work

So does anyone have any advice on how to return to work and kick ass? I've seen a lot of advice on how to deal with missing LO, but I need tips on how to go back and basically blow everyone away and kick ass, bc unfortunately, there seems to be a stigma about people who return from any type of leave. Thanks!

Re: Killing it at work

• I was away for 6 weeks on maternity leave and that first day back was hard internally, but I didn't let that show at work. My appearance was polished and professional looking, and I immediately started asking questions about what I can help out with. I got turn-over from another co worker and jumped right in. The only change that I had in my daily work routine were the breaks that I took throughout the day to go pump.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Jump right in and grind. It is hard the first few days, but if you love your job and you are completely confident in your child's caretaker, it will help take your mind off of not being there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Get an awesome new hair cut and some fab new pumping friendly clothes. If you feel good, that's a great start!
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• I was told that I handled the transition to working parent very well - probably meaning I remained present and focused. I didn't have many absences (thanks to LO not being very sick and my DH having flex time when she was). The 1st month back, my mom came to watch LO (so I didn't have to worry about commutes and daycare issues), I used PTO to work PT and worked from home at least 1 day/wk. Then I was back in the work groove and figured out the DCP and there you go. My only problem is that I had to build my Sales funnel so even though I was working very hard my numbers didn't show it for over three months. Bosses understood and I got paid less (commission) - grrrr. Congrats on your babe!

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm hoping to return to work killing it as well! I'm very career oriented and it's extremely important for me to arrive back in the office with fire under my belly. Some of the ways I plan on doing this include:
    - I made a very solid transition plan for my team for my leave. I outlined specific projects and where I left them, important contacts for specifics, and separated tasks amongst colleagues. By creating this plan I'm confident that very important tasks will be taken care of while I'm gone and that I can easily pick up the pieces when I return.
    - I plan to remain in touch with my job while on maternity leave. Just keep tabs on emails that come through, to see what I'm missing a AND to sort through all the junk so I don't spent my entire first week back sorting emails. I've been doing this during late night feedings!
    - As PP said, get a cute new wardrobe! I found some nice flowy tops that are pump friendly at Loft and J Crew. I also sorted through my closet and made a very defined casual section versus office section so that I'm not tempted to wear clothes to the office that are just "easy".
    - I am planning a trip in to the office during my leave to introduce baby to everyone. Having this day will answer all the questions that people are bound to have about the labor, baby, motherhood, etc, freeing up time when I actually go back for real work rather than gabbing.
  • I know this is an old post... but I agree that starting before leave was helpful. In addition to creating a plan for colleagues, I had compiled a list for myself of projects that I knew would be priority upon return, so I didn't have to think too hard about jumping into those. 
    I also checked my e-mail while out (I work in HR, so was careful not to actually "work"), but just clear out junk mail and stay updated on changes, to ramp up faster the first day.
    Make sure you have an accessible reference for passwords, etc. that you need every day, but could easily forget after 3 months.  

Yes, pumping breaks are kind of an annoying distraction. I'll probably start just adding them to my calendar, once it starts filling up more. 

I've only been back a week, but the best part has been that I've found myself (tired but) refreshed and energized about my job, after stepping back from it for a while.  I now understand how offering employees sabbaticals can be a win-win for a company :) 
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Here's another really late suggestion - Figure out where you add the most value to the organization and focus on that! Let's say you make $15/hr. It's likely that some % of your work is worth $40/hr and some % of your work could be done by someone earning minimum wage. If you focus your time where you add more value, the organization will be better off and others will get a chance to grow!