Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

How long AFTER a D&C should infection be a concern?

I had mine 6 days ago and they said "no intercourse, no tampons, no baths for a week after." I've been taking my temperature and the highest it's gone was 99F. And I passed a lot of clots on days 3 and 4. But I'm still bleeding and cramping and having to take 400mg of ibuprofen at a time to manage the pain--which is a bit worse than normal period cramps. The bleeding isn't heavy nor is it constant but it's almost always bright red and I thought by the time I passed all the clots 2 days ago that it would have slowed down but nope.

Nothing is alarming enough that I feel like I need to call the doctor, but I'm wondering if anyone knows at what point should I stop being paranoid about the possibility of an infection developing assuming nothing is going inside of me this whole time? I wasn't given any antibiotics after my procedure (I asked about it and they said they only give them out if infection symptoms develop later).

Re: How long AFTER a D&C should infection be a concern?

• I bled for a week and a half after mine but only cramped hard for about three days. I passed very few clots though. Have you made a follow up appt yet? Usually it's about two weeks after. You may need an US to make sure they got everything.
  • I'm shocked they didn't give you antibiotics... None the less, keep monitoring your temperature the way you are. If you see an elevation you should call your OB for sure. Other signs of infection would be increased pelvic and lower back pain, foul smelling discharge, heavy bleeding that causes you to change your pad every hour, and light bleeding that lasts more than 2 weeks.
    I just had my miscarriage, it was 'natural'... or whatever you want to call it, but my bleeding and cramps are similar to how you describe. So try not to feel too alarmed.
    In the end, if you feel concerned you should always listen to your gut and call your md, the only harm is in not calling...
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah I was surprised too about the antibiotics. They gave me 2 pills before they did the D&C, but because I was still experiencing morning sickness, I started to throw up about 30 minutes later (mostly dry-heaving but a little bit of something came up) and was like, "Do I need to take more medicine?" and they just said, "No, you're fine." 

I think my bleeding and cramping is finally starting to taper off a little though now that it's been a week. It just kind of seemed like there was no end in sight... I was starting to think because it was twins, that they had missed something, but maybe not.