3rd Trimester

Curious

ftm here And I'm curious to know what is a mucus plug? What excatly does it mean when you lose it or whatever . What does it simbilize ? What does it look like or how will you tell that it's "the mucus plug". Sawry it's a lot of questions , but I'm new to this whole pregnancy thing! And I'm 32 weeks 4days.

Re: Curious

• cMichelle0423cMichelle0423 member
    edited July 2015
    Mucus plug basically is what it sounds like. It's a "plug" made of mucus that helps close off your cervix to keep bacteria and what not from going where it shouldn't. It can fall out several times as it regenerates until you have the baby. It really doesn't mean anything if it falls out though. I had mine come out multiple times with both my last pregnancies and didn't go into labor until months later.

ETA: and it basically looks like a big chunk of snot. Gross, I know.
  • So is it similar looking like discharge ?
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes if you're that curious, just google pictures. I never knew what it looked like before hand. But when mine came out their first time, there was no question that that's what it was.
  • It's a bloody stringy of discharge. It could symbolise the start of early labour.
  • On a side note

The mucus plug accumulates at the cervix during pregnancy. When the cervix begins to open wider, the mucus is discharged into the vagina and may be clear, pink, or slightly bloody. Labor may begin soon after the mucus plug is discharged or one to two weeks later.

Google can be a wonderful thing :D