Infertility
Options

Retrieval in 2 days..... Any useful tips?

Hi everyone. Going through my first IVF and I have my retrieval in 2 days. Any tips on what to do after, the right food to eat etc? Any tips and advice will be appreciated. Thanks ladies and good luck to everyone :)
TTC for Baby #1 for 3 years. After 2 failed IUI's & IVFs, God blessed us with our miracle :).  FET 12/17/15 (transferred 2 embryos at 5days). First Beta 12/29/15 = 354. Second Beta 12/31/15 = 694. Third Beta 1/7/16 = 6,695.  Finally heard his heartbeat (126)  on 1/14/16 @ our 1st US.  2nd US on 1/21/16, HR was 159.  The most beautiful sound ever :) 

Re: Retrieval in 2 days..... Any useful tips?

• Options
    I had a lot of discomfort after and was really tired even though it was a light anesthesia I couldn't help but sleep a lot. After the procedure I ate and pretty much slept on and off until the next day. I have heard on the morning of transfer its good to eat eggs for the protein and pineapple for help with implantation. The pineapple I heard you should eat often after the transfer. Good luck!
    Me - 32 
    Husband - 32
    TTC #1 - since 10/16/2012 
    IVF#1 6/2015 BFN 
    FET 7/2015 - BFP

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The build up to the retrieval was worse than the actual procedure!  I was so nervous but it was over and done with pretty quickly.  I felt fine after, we stopped for lunch and than I came home and was very tired.  Slept on and off all afternoon.  Keep in mind that you may be crampy  as well as feeling bloated for a few days after.  Drink a lot of water to help flush everything out.  Good luck! 
    Me: 40  
    TTC #1: 3 years
    Me: Type II Diabetic
    Started with RE 11/2014
    Going through IUI with Donor Sperm

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. That helps a lot. Baby blessings to all :)
    TTC for Baby #1 for 3 years. After 2 failed IUI's & IVFs, God blessed us with our miracle :).  FET 12/17/15 (transferred 2 embryos at 5days). First Beta 12/29/15 = 354. Second Beta 12/31/15 = 694. Third Beta 1/7/16 = 6,695.  Finally heard his heartbeat (126)  on 1/14/16 @ our 1st US.  2nd US on 1/21/16, HR was 159.  The most beautiful sound ever :) 
  • Options
    I didn't have any discomfort afterward. We stopped for lunch on the way home. Even ran some errands with light shopping. Not even a slight cramp.
  • Options
    jnissajnissa member
    Honestly? I had a beer after :) It helped destress me, and that's the most important thing! So you should do what will help you relax - watch TV in bed all day or light activity. Whichever is better for *you*. 

If your RE says bedrest only, I would do some research, btw. That's old school thinking and most current studies say light activity is better!
    Me: 41, DH 38, Diagnosis DOR
    Started TTC 12/2013
    First Trip to RE: 11/2014
    IVF Round 1: 2/2014 - BFP
    DD Born 11/9/2014
    TTC a Sibling Started 5/2015
    First IVF Round 8/15 - BFN
    Taking a break to go on vacation + enjoy the holidays before FET and/or another IVF round in 2016!

• Options
    I felt that a heating pad and Gatorade really helped me after the retrievals. Also, my nurse told me to eat salty foods. I opted for salt and vinegar potato chips! Good luck!!
    Married since 2013, TTC since 2/2014
    Me : 32 with DOR 
     DH: 35 with 0% morphology 

History:  
    IVF #1 with ICSI 2/15- Banked 3 embryos
    IVF #2 with ICSI 3/15: Banked 2 embryos
    IVF #3 with ICSI 4/15: Banked 1 embryo
    IVF #4 with ICSI 6/15: Banked 1 embryo
    FET #1: 7/25: Waiting for Beta results 

• Options
    I slept a couple hours after my retrieval. It started at 530 am so it was probably a combination of tiredness and anesthia. Felt fine the rest of the day other than a little crampiness, bloating, and some fatigue. What I would caution you on is that you need to use the restroom at your Dr's office after the procedure and before you leave. The nurses at my Dr's office did not have me do this and it caused clotting which kept me from using the restroom the majority of the day. When I was FINALLY able to go... it wasn't pretty. I was totally fine and nothing dramatic but I read about it afterwards and that is when I found out that they should have had me use the restroom before I left. Weird but it's the one thing I would have changed about my retrieval. 

Best of luck to you. Try not to stress too much. Remember "Even miracles take a little time" :)

Me: 29
    TTC since 1/14
    Husband low count and motility
    IVF (ICSI) #1 slight positive that ended with BFN  
  • Options
    I was crampy and tired after my retrieval. I slept off and on the rest of the day. I definitely felt bloated and gassy. I agree with @jnissa that the best thing you can do is whatever feels right for you. Good luck!!

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    dvg716dvg716 member
    My egg retrieval was last week, and honestly, I felt so much better when I walked out!  Walking in I was bloated and so uncomfortable.  My back hurt, I had trouble sleeping so I was exhausted!   When I woke up, I felt great, but a little sleepy.   I do have a touch of OHSS, and two days after was having stomach pains, so if you start feeling bad a couple of days after, let you doctors know!  I spent the weekend in bed resting and drinking lots of gatorade.  Good Luck!
  • Options
    @kwozniak330 I just want to say that your info was a lifesaver for me this am. Although I forgot it when leaving and left without peeing as we were driving I was thinking there was no way I was going to make it home with an hour and 30 min drive so we stopped so I could go. Unfortunately a little late the pain was super intense and I got sick. But that's ok cause after the remainder of the cramps subsided I felt great. Awesome info. Thanks so much
  • Options
    @plumeria05 How did your retrieval go? How are you feeling?
  • Options
    I'm glad it went well and I hope you have a good outcome. Baby dust to you!