Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Baby wants to suck

Hello all,
My 3.5 month old baby seems to need to suck all the time even when she's not hungry, so I know she would really benefit from a pacifier. I haven't really pushed the pacifiers because she really hasn't needed one until now. She took one about four times from birth thus far but not for more than a minute each time. Now I can't get her to take one at all! I've tried all different brands: mam, Nuk, Philips avent, and dr Browns. Has anyone had any luck getting a baby to take a pacifier this late in the game? Do you have any tricks or hints to get them to take it? Is it even possible LOL? Is there a specific brand that seems to work best for this age? Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby wants to suck

• What size are you using.? My LO only likes mams and stopped using the 3month ones around 2 months and will only use the 6+ ones
  • I had some success with the Wubanub. It's a little stuffed animal attached to a soothie pacifier that baby can hold on to.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have any real advice but I can commiserate, my lo is the same. Will not take paci. We have tried tons thinking they would've be helpful for traveling to soothe him a bit but never worked. He recently started sucking his thumbs a little more tho. I think some kids just don't like the pacifiers, out on my friends 3 kids one took it until 2 and the other never did.
  • NickiochNickioch member
    edited September 2015
    Ours loves the wubbanub, too! It's also great because at this age baby can hold it and explore putting it in their mouth. It's his favorite thing to do in the car seat, turning the little monkey around and trying to get the pacifier in his mouth or chewing on the arms! It's attached to a Soothies brand which is all ours has ever had and likes, and what most hospitals use from what I've seen; but he's always been a big sucker too and is kind of take it or leave it with pacifier. Always prefers our pinky, uses the pacifier just before nodding off. Try introducing it after feeding, when she's still sucking but just for comfort, unlatch and pop in the pacifier. Maybe even get a little milk on the pacifier nipple? We did that in the beginning. Good luck!
  • My munchkin is the same way. She's all about that boob but will have a fit if you try to stick a pacifier in there. I asked my friends on Facebook and the general consensus was to try all different types and sizes and if that doesn't work, well it's a blessing in disguise.
    Hard to take in when you're a human pacifier but I try to tell myself it when I'm feeling frustrated.
  • The Wubanub works for my little guy. Now he won't take a plain soothie...it's the wubbers or nothing!
  • kristyn831kristyn831 member
    edited October 2015
    LO doesn't take to any pacifier but the soothie and he loves the one attached to the wubanub.

Me: 33, DH: 35
    Married 10/13, TTC since 7/13
    Dx: MFI
    IUI #1 7/14: BFN
    IUI #2 8/14: BFN
    IVF #1 11/14: 20R17M15F
    Transferred 1 three day embryo! 7 frosties!
    BFP!  EDD 7/27/15

• Honestly neither of my kids took a soother. I had a friend who refused to let her daughter refuse the soother. She said it was a full time job for two weeks to sort of make her take it. Now she takes it and she's worried about when it will be time to take it away, lol!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My LO took paci at around 3-4 weeks and then not at all and she loves her Philips Soothies. She's been wanting to chew and suck on everything as she has started to teeth (3 months old now). I also have bunch of Teethers like Sophie the giraffe, nuk,etc. Seems to help her a bit.

I would suggest Soothies from Philips.
    Good luck!
  • I totally hear you on this! If she won't take a pacifier, would she be willing to try other types of toys that she can suck on? Our boys love to chew/suck on soft silicone rings if they're not taking a pacifier. It can be hard to find things (other than a pacifier) for them to suck on since they're so young and uncoordinated. These are some of the pacifier alternatives that we've had luck with while they're semi-teething and wanting to chew/suck constantly. Good luck, mama! https://www.theydontfeedthemselves.com/early-teething-toys-twin-babies/

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!